Chapter 57

"Ok, the meeting is over," Arjun announced.

"Ananya has resigned?" Avinash asked stopping Arjun with a confused face.

"Yes," Arjun replied in short.

"That's strange. What's the reason? Is she alright? That day she had a panic attack. Poor girl!" Avinash exclaimed with concern.

Arjun looked at Avinash with a shocked face.

"What? When? Why didn't you tell me?" Arjun asked feeling restless.

"She said she will and I had to go out." He informed.

"Why did she gets a panic attack?" Arjun asked frowning.

"I don't know," Avinash continued shrugging, "I found her with Mr Arora in the canteen but saw her leave in a hurry and when I went to her office for work, she was really in bad condition. Apart from that, I don't remember anything. You two are quite close. I thought you would know." Avinash said the last part narrowing his eyes at Arjun.

"Close?" Arjun coughed feeling a little awkward suddenly.

"Just because I don't say anything that doesn't mean I don't see anything. I just love to mind my own business." Avinash said twerking his lips.

"You said Mr Arora, as in Dibakar Arora?" Arjun asked avoiding his interrogative talks.

"Yup. Ok, see you later." Avinash turned to leave.

"By the way, she's joining again from Monday," Arjun informed looking in a space.

"Oh, that's good."

Arjun fell back on his swirling chair. His mind contemplating and tensed,

Why was Dibakar's uncle here? He didn't come to meet me. Was he here for Ananya? She had a panic attack? Could it be because of him or me?  

His head fell on the table as he felt the storm rising within him.

In the evening Arjun was seated beside the pool of his Dad's house, a glass of wine in his hand. As he swirled the glass, his mind was consumed by one thing only, a girl with long hair, little anger issues, a girl, who had a connection with Arora's.

His trance broke as he felt a person seating beside him, Vishal.

Vishal took the bottle and started to drink from it directly.

"Does it make it better?" Arjun asked looking at the water of the pool.

"What?"

"Drinking? Does it work for you? Will it reduce the pain?"

"Nah! It just turns you more alcoholic and makes you do stupid things. And when you finally come out of the numbness the pain just hurts more intensely." Vishal said taking a huge gulp.

 "Yet, here you are, drinking your way."

"Same to you," Vishal said, a little aggressively.

"You are sounding bitter. You would be happy to know she's joining the office again." Vishal looked up hearing the words.

His eyes narrowed. "You are talking like you did it for my happiness."

"Well, I did to some point. I behaved unprofessionally. You made me realise." Arjun said nonchalantly.

"Who are you kidding?" Vishal chuckled.

"No baby, you did it for you. As much as you behave like the jerkiest homo sapiens of the year, you miss her. Her absence bothers you." Vishal said turning towards his friend, to get a reaction.