Out of the Woods..?

Song used: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version)

____________________________________

“W..what? Who..? And how..?” Annie looks from the unconscious girl to him again when the child remains still and quiet, walking around the bed until she’s in front of him, looking over his face. “How did we get back here?”

His eyes narrow as he looks at her, brows drawing together in his confusion. “What do you mean, how did we get back here? Do you not know what just happened?”

“The last thing I remember was throwing off a woman who was trying to kill me. Then.. a man with blue eyes… in the smoke, like he was part of it. He told me to let go and fight, then it all goes blank.”

“What? Who?”

“I… I don’t know..” She looks back at the child on the bed. “Who is that?”

“Sage found her. Back at the coven…” He sighs lightly, wanting to press her for more information but now wasn’t the time. “I think she might be the only survivor.”

“The others?”

“The rest of the coven was annihilated. Ace, Mysti and Sage are in the living room. You really don’t remember…?” He couldn’t help but ask and she sighs, shaking her head with a wince.

“Are the others okay?” Annie asks, walking back to the bed to look over the child, unable to ignore her anymore. She checks her over best she can, seeing her covered in dirt and soot along with some splattering of blood but for the most part she seemed unhurt. It eases her heart a little.

“Not gonna lie, sis,” Kali says, taking a seat on the opposite corner of the bed, looking down at the child as well. “We’re all pretty hurt, but nothing we won’t recover from.”

“I need to check the others. I don't think I have enough herbs here for them all,” Annie starts rambling as she moves off the bed, walking towards the door before she stumbles, one of her legs giving out. Kali’s on his feet, arm around her waist as he supports her, holding her steady.

“If you really don’t remember, and based on what I saw, it’s a good possibility your powers came out without you knowing again. You know how weak that tends to leave you.”

“I don’t care. You guys need me. I need to heal you.”

Kali sighs lightly, pulling her closer. His heart still beat faster than normal and his mind raced, but he allowed himself to relax as he held her knowing they were safe behind the ministry walls once more. Even still, he couldn’t get out of his head what he saw. What he witnessed her doing. How had she gotten them all here? And the way those ghouls' energies shifted when they listened to her without question as though she was their bound mistress. Yes, the ghouls all loved her, but something about that whole exchange… and then again when she told him to give her the child. It was like he couldn’t refuse even if he wanted to.

He pulled back enough to look down at her, seeing her clear blue eyes and his frown deepens. He had no doubt that other part of her came out on that battlefield. He knew she was strong but the way she commanded the elements then… It was more than just her. And how her voice sounded, like she was speaking over herself as if two people were talking at once…

And who was the person she said she saw? Blue eyes, that’s what she remembers. But there hadn’t been anyone there who wasn’t trying to kill them. The battle was short, but intense. He himself knew he killed at least ten people if not more out of the multitude he fought back, and he could only imagine how many the others may have, yet they had kept coming. How were there so many? Where did they keep coming from? And why today? Attacks were supposed to happen tomorrow, on Midsummer Eve.