chapter 13- running

²⁰¹⁷

I spent 1 week on the raft. After the 4th day I passed out. Memories raced through my brain of being with hydra. I remembered them torturing me alot. So I knew not to go back.

But after that nightmare I didn't fall asleep again. 3 days later I ended up on a beach. I asked around and they told me I was in south Carolina. I don't remember being here ever but I looked at a map. It was a good distance away from New York so I decided to stay for awhile.

I knew if I showed myself too publicly somebody would find me eventualy. I know the avengers are the ones that locked me up aswell so that wasn't an option.

After another week of moving around. I found a donation box full of clothes. So I took a thick jacket and some pants. There was also a black hat with a small skull on the front so I grabbed that. Next to the bin there was a pair of old sneakers. They were a size too big but they fit anyway.

About a month in I had been doing some small jobs around, mostly cleanings or helping people with their markets. Then I found a job at an old washer and dryer shop repairing the machines so the owners didn't have to buy new ones.

With the money I was able to rent a small apartment in an old building. The walls seemed to be falling apart but it worked well enough. One of my neighbors was going to get rid of an old sofa so I offered to take it. The seat springs pushed against my back but now I had a halfway decent place to sleep.

Today I was walking around a farmers market looking for nothing in particular. I stopped at an old man's table and looked at the jewelry he was selling. There was a thicker ring with a black line down the middle on a silver chain.

"How much" I asked holding up the necklace.

"For you dear. Nothing. I'm about to close up anyway." He said in a raspy voice. I smiled at him and thanked him. Leaving him $5 anyway, although i didnt know the actual cost.

"Have a good day sir" I smiled waving goodbye as I continued shopping.

I found some people selling fruit and bought a couple oranges/apples before I made my way out.

I looked both ways down a street before crossing and cutting through an alley. I heard the sound of a plane above me and looked up.

I recognized it. And my face dropped. Aswell as my produce, but I left them there as I ran to my apartment. Running up the w sets of stairs and grabbing my things, shoving them in a bag.

Out my window I saw a couple of the avengers as they were walking down a street. One, steve I think, was holding a small device. It was most likely a tracker.

"Shit" I mumbled throwing a couple more things into my bag before opening the other window. Tossing the bag down and climbing out. I stood on the little ledge and closed the window behind me. Just in time to see my door open and 3 other avengers walking in.

Quickly I ducked and jumped to the lower roof. Picking up my bag and running. When I got to the last one I looked back to see one of them looking through my window. He spotted me and opened it. Climbing out himself.

I ran down the fire escape. Skipping most of the steps as I turned down an alley. I watched as he ran past. The other 2 behind him as they thought they were following me.

Once I was sure they were gone I went the opposite direction and went twords the laundry mat. It was supposed to be closed today but I had a key for whenever I needed to lock up or open. I looked both ways as I opened the door. Shutting it behind me and ensuring the lock was on.

I peaked through the blinds and sighed as I didn't see anyone around. I dropped my bag and decided to kill some time hiding by fixing one of the dryers.

And if anything they might see my legs and thing I just some repairman. But I doubt they will. After 30 minutes I had the drum out and was working on the belt behind it. After tightening the last screw I sighed thankful the hard part was over.

But then I heard the jingle of the door open and panicked. I was already mostly inside the dryer so I moved my legs inside and shut the door just enough so I could see out.

"Anyone here" I heard someone ask.

"Yaknow. Cap. If someone was in here. And they didn't want to be found. I don't think they would respond to that" another said. I recognized both voices immediately. It was Steve Rodgers and Tony Stark. 2 of the most famous avengers.

"Well. The repairman surely doesn't do his job. The skinny part of the dryer is sitting here. So is his toolbox. Must not be very good" I heard a woman say. I recognized her as Natasha Romanoff. Or the black widow. I was slightly offended by her comment and made a face.

"Nobody's here. Let's just keep searching. She couldn't have gone far" another voice said. This one I didn't recognize. Then I heard the jingle of the door again and more voices.

"Hey guys. I didn't realize we were having a party" The falcon, or Sam said.

"Shut up sam. Your jokes are lousy" another male said. I think it was Bucky barnes. Or the winter soldier from what I remember.

"There's nothing here. Why are we just standing around" the voice I didn't recognize said.

"Ok Lacey. We'll keep going." Steve said.

Then I heard the door open and it didn't close for a moment before I heard the bell go off again, signaling it was closed.

I sighed from my position in the machine as I pushed the door open. Crawling out with my hands first. Then I felt a shadow above me and looked up to see all the voices I just heard.

"Oh shit" I whispered slowly standing up. I looked at all of them as they surrounded me.

"You're going to need to come with us" Tony said.

"Yea. I totally would. But. I kinda got this problem with people locking me up so." I said as I used my powers to shove 3 of them away. My bag was blocked by them so I left it while I jumped through the glass. I would have to pay Mr. And Mrs. Keindal for that if I escaped.

I ran as fast as I could down the street. Running infront of cars and trucks as they drove down the roads.

Eventualy I stopped on the other side looking back to see the winter soldier and captian America close. So I grabbed onto the back of a semi as it drove by.

I watched as they both jumped onto the back of another and made my way to the roof. I ducked down. Tho as we went under an overpass. I looked back to see both of them already on the front of the semi. But the driver of theirs started to slow down as he got to the next lane over and pulled into a gas station. I silently cheered as I sat ontop of the truck. Waiting for it to slow down aswell at a red-light.

I jumped off landing on a neighboring car. Slightly denting the roof. I called out a sorry as I ran to the sidewalk and went down another street.

Soon tho I got tired and hid in another alley. Sitting beside a dumpster and catching my breath.