1 | The Boy Who Had It Rough

Comenzar desde el principio

The door opened again and a girl with frizzy hair and a stare that made me feel stupid walked in. "Excuse me, is this booth full?"

"Not at all, sit right down."

She put her trunk in the compartment above and sat down beside me. "I'm Hermione Granger. You two are?"

"Y/N Griffin."

"Neville Longbottom."

"Pleasure." She held out her hand like it was an interview and I shook it, realizing her firm grip as she shook my hand once, then twice, before going to Neville.

I cleared my throat, hoping to make the conversation less small talk.

"So, any interested stories you guys want to share? Like, how'd you learn that you were magical?"

"It's hard to say," Neville mumbled. "I didn't even know I was a wizard until my uncle accidentally dropped me out of the window."

Hermione and I blinked at him for a while before glancing at each other, our eyes seeming to ask was yours like that?

"Well," I started as I cleared my throat. "I accidentally turned my mother's hair green."

"How did you do that?"

"Not sure. I was just playing around with it and it turned bright green. Both my parents are magical, so it wasn't too much of a surprise, but my mom sure didn't appreciate it."

Hermione chuckled a bit. "Mine's a bit boring. I just learned when the letter from Hogwarts came in."

"That would be a great way to learn." I leaned back with a sigh as the story line tumbled from my lips. "A child, raised as a muggle, suddenly gains a letter that says that she truly belongs in the world of magic. It sounds exciting."

"It came as a surprise to my parents, but they were supportive."

"That's good, then. It'd suck if they weren't."

Neville shifted in his seat, his eyes fixated on the world outside the window.

I heard the trolley rolling down the hall and a woman knocked on the door of the booth. "Hello you three. Would any of you like some sweets from the trolley?"

"Yes please." I pulled out a three galleons.

Hermione stared at my hand as the woman took the money from me and listened to my choosing.

I could tell from her wandering eyes that she was one who craved knowledge.

I opened a box of chocolate frogs, stabbing the frog inside with a quill before it could run off.

Neville and Hermione stared as if I had actually stabbed a frog, but were gracious to accept a piece of chocolate.

"Neville." I stared at the boy as I gave him a piece. "Quick question."

"Yeah?"

"Where did Trevor go?"

He looked down at his hands, seeing them barren of the toad, and we all turned to the door to see that the snack lady had left it ajar.

"Well that's just splendid!" I exclaimed, frustrated, as I jumped from my seat along with Hermione and Neville. "You two look at the front, I'll take the back."

I knocked on the doors of the different booths, asking those inside if they had seen a toad, which they hadn't.

"Excuse me, have— Draconis!"

His eyes diverted from the book I had smuggled to him before he shut his trunk to
leave, while a girl with short black hair and the two boys seated next to him turned to me. "Huh. So you can make friends."