Chapter 31

"THE TWO OF YOU ARE WHAT!?!?!" You flinched at Scara's outburst. 

"We're dating now?" 

"Give me a moment. I need to process this information. I knew you liked him but this is too sudden. You start dating him the day we arrive?" 

"Ahahaha... Yeah..."

"So you're living with him now?" 

"No... I'm still finding a room in the city. I need a job anyways."

"..."

"You alright? You look a little... off." 

"I'm fine. Just... surprised is all." 

"That's good." 

"Are... Are you happy?" 

"I am. The most I've been in my life."

"That's good. I'm glad. I'm... I'm happy for you."

"Thank you." You grinned 

"He's a good person." 

"He is." 

"We should get going now." 

"Yeah. Let's go." 

Later that night...

Scara POV

Standing in front of the tree at Windrise, I sighed. 

"I didn't know it would hurt this much. I thought I would be fine if she was happy."

"You thought you wouldn't have emotions just because you were a puppet?" 

"Barbatos." 

"Hello! Wow, your hair and eyes look just like-" 

"Shut up." 

"You know... If you had told her..."

"What?" 

"She would have tried to stay friends with you. She would have told you that you're a good person. That she hopes you can find another to love. That she would love you... love you in another lifetime." 

"I know. She's just like that. I couldn't help but fall for her. But it hurts like fu##." 

"Why aren't you telling me to leave?" 

"If I never forget her... If I never move on... Will I carry this pain with me forever?" 

"Most likely. But the pain will lessen. The memory of them will turn bittersweet instead of hurting you." 

"So you've experienced the passing of someone. Experienced the pain of the curse of immortality." 

"Why do you think I decided to take this form?" 

"Hm." 

The two of us lapsed into silence. Both grieving what could have been and reminiscing what once was. 

End Scara POV

Weeks later...

"Hey, Diluc? Are you closing up or should I?" 

"I'll head out first." He slipped on his coat. "Come find me after you close up." 

"Alright. Don't die." 

"I won't." He pulled you in for a hug and then left. You smiled and turned back to the counter. 

"You two are so lovey-dovey it disgusts me." 

"Shut it Kaeya. You're just feeling single." 

"Maybe I am." 

"Find yourself a partner then. It's not my problem." You leaned against the counter, wiping a glass. 

"Very helpful. You know why-" 

"Why does that matter though?" 

"If Diluc reacted that way..." 

"Well, I can't convince you otherwise. We're closing up. See yourselves out." 

"Fine. I'll leave." With a shrugging motion, he walked out. 

Sighing, you cleaned up and locked the door. 

You waited on the balcony until midnight, then headed to find Diluc. 

A few minutes of searching later, you found him leaning against a tree. 

"Diluc! Found you!" 

"36 minutes. That's a new record." 

"Yay!" Laughing, you hugged him and buried your face in his neck. 

"We should get going." 

"Just... Just a little longer." 

"Y/N." 

"Everyone already knows we're dating. There's nothing to worry about."

"We have a job to do." You looked up at his face and saw that he was blushing. 

"Diluc~" 

"What."

"Look at me." He tilted his head down and you smiled. Reaching up, you yanked him down and his lips crashed against yours. 

A/N: Thanks for sticking with me throughout this story. I really hope you enjoyed. I'll be writing alternate endings and extras so enjoy those!