Chapter 1

No prologue this time. We're jumping straight in.

You walked with catlike elegance and grace. You let the constraints you held on your vision dissolve and the air around you was filled with mist. Ignoring the gasps of awe, the mist obscured your sight. Step after step, you take a gamble. A risk. That everyone would clear out of your way, or you would stop before you bowled them over. 

50 perfectly calculated steps later, the mist disappeared with a flick of your wrist. As your vision slowly cleared, a door seemingly appeared from the mist in front of your eyes. Its ornate design was carved from ice. Ice no vision holder nor archon could melt. 

Ice crafted by the hand of the Archon. The ruler of this country. The powerful being waiting behind the door. 

Reaching your hand out, you gingerly placed your palm against the door. 

Cold. 

Sheer cold biting into your hand. 

You instinctively knew... if you kept your hand there any longer... it would freeze off.

You bit past the pain and swung the door open. 

"Ah. You've arrived." The voice was majestic and elegant. And the figure gracefully poised on the throne at the end of the hall was the same. 

Five harbingers on the left... Five on the right. And one by her majesty's side.

Striding to the middle of the hall, you were precisely aware of your surroundings. Even as you kneeled on the ground. Even as the door slammed shut behind you. Even as you bowed your head to the most powerful being in the room. 

I've planned my escape route should things go awry. 

I've also decided who to take care of first. 

But I shouldn't need to use that. 

Because... only moments later... I shall be...

"Y/N L/N. You are aware that the moment you leave this hall, this name will cease to exist?" 

"Yes, your majesty."

"Then pledge to me." 

"I pledge myself to your service. My life is yours as is my body. Let my power serve you. Let my power serve Snezhnaya. Glory to her majesty the Tsaritsa!" 

"Glory to the Tsaritsa!" The Harbingers simultaneously kneeled. 

"Stand." The Tsaritsa stood as well. She strode to the bottom of the dias. Power emanating within each and every step. "This is a glorious day for our nation. What was once 11 has now become twelve. From when you were 18... I saw your potential. And now... I welcome you. Helia code name Rising Flame. As the 12th harbinger! Now go. Raise your flame and enshroud all our enemies!" 

"It is an honor." 

"Doctor. Present our new member with her pyro delusion. I did say she was going to raise flames did I not? How should she do that with a mere hydro vision?"

The blue haired doctor. Dottore, the second harbinger stepped forwards. Coming closer, he handed you a pyro delusion with a disdainful expression. 

You gently picked it up and placed it in your palm. The second your skin made contact, an old scar began to turn. You could feel the fire coursing through you. The power and destruction of an immortal flame burning inside that small thing. 

You could feel the pyro and hydro fighting inside you. The water surrounding you returned, but this time as droplets of water suspended in the air like tiny crystals. However, the delusion flared and the scar on your left arm started glowing. Glowing like coals in a hearth. Glowing with heat. The scar seemed to be made out of flame. 

Lifting your left arm, you reached out and touched the droplet of water. You could feel the mist as it vaporized. However, you were slowly growing tired. As your first time using a delusion... you weren't used to spending your life energy. 

This... This was a test.

You grappled for control over your newfound power. Suppressing the urge to burn everything and conquer the world with this power. You locked it up. Only to be unlocked when you used the key. And your hydro vision calmed. 

"I see. Your vision sensed a threat to your life and immediately attacked it. You'll need to learn to use it." (Dottore) 

"Isn't it not that different from using a vision?" (You) 

"You'll have to learn to fight and survive with both powers activated." (Dottore) 

"I see." (You) 

"Very interesting. So your vision, and by extension you, still has a will to live after all. None of the others were like that." (Tsaritsa) 

"..."

"Start training with Signora tomorrow." She waved her hand and you took that as a sign of dismissal. Bowing low at the waist, you turned and walked out of the room. 

The door swung open before you and you immediately headed to the rooms that had been provided for you. The newly appointed harbinger. 

The salutes and bows felt unexpected. The same people that you had once fought beside. The people you had once been the same as. They now bowed to you with fear emanating from them. 

That doesn't mean you didn't enjoy it though. The power you had felt earlier. If you could make it bend to your will....

No one would be able to hurt you. 

You glanced at the scar snaking up your left arm. 

Never again.

A/N: Welcome welcome! THIS IS CHAPTER ONE OF RISING FLAME! (Yes, there will be an author's note at the end of every chapter. Chapters will probably be a bit longer than this, but this was the intro soooo. Hehe. Hope you enjoyed!