33 | Old Behaviour

Start from the beginning

I held his gaze, and suddenly all I could see was discontent in his eyes, as if he had so much to say but he just couldn't bring himself to say it. I felt my heart ache, I wanted things to be okay between us, I wanted everything to be fine and for the pain to go away. I could deal with hurting him before, but now that he was here in front of me, I couldn't deal with the tension. 

"Say it, whatever it is that you have to say, just say it Anton." I sighed

"It fucking hurts that you have a son with him." Anton said immediately, his expression remaining indifferent but his eyes exposing all the pain he was in. "After everything that happened, and he's still the one that you'll be loyal to,"

I stayed silent for a moment but lacking a better response I said, "not if you don't cause something where I have to pick a side."

"If that happens it won't be because of me, I would never make you choose, we both know that." Anton replied and I watched as the cold look in his eyes resurfaced.

It was a look I knew all too well, one that he gave me when he took me to put the last bullet in Raul before he removed the idea of Leo and I in his head, one I received when I woke up in Madrid to find him waiting for me, also when I would ignore him for days on end in the palatial prison after he made those comments designed to rile me up. 

"I don't know what you want me to say." I sighed, shaking my head. 

"I don't want you to say anything, what would the point be? It's not like you can erase the fact that you have a son." He said lazily and I narrowed my eyes at him, and he simply shrugged, he was shutting down on me. "What? It's true. I'll live."

"Don't be like this Anton," I said, feeling myself being plunged back into his resentment of six years prior. 

"Be like what Artemisia?" He shrugged, slowly tapping his finger on the table. 

"Unaccessible, closed off, emotionless." I replied, and Anton laughed and shook his head. I felt a surge of irritation run through me and I narrowed my eyes at him and folded my arms over my chest. "I don't understand what's so amusing about that."

"Now you see what I had to deal with for two years," Anton sighed, "and it only got worse when Leandro came into the picture, so you can imagine that I ended up having 13 months of hell trying to get you to stop being unaccessible, closed off and emotionless." 

I narrowed my eyes and was about to speak but the waiter came over once more and placed our food down.

"Come mai non abbiamo mai visto questa donna prima d'ora? È ancora più bella anche quando è arrabbiata." He asked as he began to debone the fish on the table. 
(Italian: How come we have never seen this woman before? She's even more beautiful when she's angry)

I raised an eyebrow, slightly taken back by the fact that the waiter was speaking Italian, but more taken back by the fact that it seemed Anton was a frequenter of this place. 

"Non sapevo che fosse qui, ma ora che l'ho trovata sono sicuro che torneremo di nuovo." Anton said, his gaze along with the waiter fixed on me, I gave the waiter a smile before flickering my eyes back to Anton. 
(Italian: I didn't know she was here, but now that I've found her I'm sure you'll see her again) 

"È il tipo da sposare, Signor Zhelkin." The waiter laughed, "Buon appetito," and with that he walked off.
(Italian: She is the type to marry, Mr Zhelkin | Have a good meal)

I stared at Anton, and a small smile came to his lips as he served me some of the fish, refusing to meet my gaze. 

"You've been here before?" I asked