24 | Searching

Leandro 

Apparently my work had been affected by all of this, but I had never felt so productive. 

Overseeing a full scale war whilst also bringing in more clients and expanding? Sounded like a great thing to me. 

But no, the moral compass of my establishment wasn't too happy about the way I had been conducting myself. 

Domenico thought that I was losing respect in the way I was behaving, apparently the killing, blackmailing and threatening wasn't a great way to act on a day-to-day basis. 

And apparently it wasn't winning us this war either. 

But I disagreed, none of our warehouses had been fucked with other than one, which didn't interrupt business since I had prepared for it and had my people ready to distribute double. 

Their shipment heist had failed miserably, ending in a standoff where no one fired the first bullet. 

Clementina's father was doing everything I told him to do, going so far as to getting Clementina a divorce lawyer in standby if I suddenly wanted one considering the betrayal. 

The betrayal. 

I guess Anton was up by one point, and that was because he still had Artemisia. 

I knew she was alive because there was no way she would've been killed unless he directly ordered one of his men to shoot her when she was at her most vulnerable. 

No, Artemisia was playing a game with him, but what the end goal of that game happened to be was unbeknownst to anyone. 

I also knew she was enjoying the pain she was putting me through, understandably. 

It didn't mean that I wasn't looking though, because I was. I'd thought about all possible avenues, but focused on the 'hiding in plain sight' one first. 

I'd had my men scour Italy, all of it, but there was no luck. So I moved to Germany, Spain and France, nothing there either. 

Albania was next, and our relationship with them was better than most thought, but even with their help we still turned up nothing. 

Then it got to an ambiguous level, going to intelligence services armed with healthy amounts of money, but they couldn't trace Anton or Artemisia, or any of the men in Russia. 

Looking in Russia had to be done through an external unit, one we payed well over ten million euros to, and still nothing. 

I'd probably spent over forty million dollars looking for Artemisia in the space of a month, and I'd spend a billion more in a week if it meant I got closer to finding her, but I knew that I couldn't afford to waste the money if I wanted to win this battle and keep my life in all of this. 

It would be pointless if I died. 

I wasn't going to die before I saw her again though, it would take the force of God to make that happen. 

I thought about what she might have been doing, how she would be spending her days with him, what he might have been saying to her to reinforce this idea in her head that I was the worst person in the world. 

It annoyed me at times, but then I remembered the fact that we could never be away from each other for too long, we always found one another again. 

After thirteen years she'd come back to me, she'd loved me, and I was confident that she would still love me even now.