Volume II: Alternate Ending XI

Sebastian's Point-of-View
Hogwarts Castle
September 1906

Both Antoinette and I agreed that Lailah should have the full experience at Hogwarts, even with me constantly shadowing her, ensuring her safety.

In Headmaster Black's finite absence, Dinah Hecat took over as Headmistress. Her owls were incessant until I accepted the position as the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

I would have had the same reaction if I let Leander Prewett manage the classroom for the last decade or so. Thankfully, though, Garreth Weasley had taken over Sharp's position upon his death, so at least there was one person here I could stand. Even Amit Thakkar and Everett Clopton had taken over astronomy and flying, respectfully.

I worried about my connection to the Gaunts with Dinah. She hadn't mentioned the horrid interaction between her, Elladora, Kassia, and Aesop. An eye for an eye. I shook my head at the thought and maneuvered myself back into reality.

A hoard of first-years stood below the head table, anxiously waiting to be sorted into their Houses. Their little hats perched on their heads like birds ready to take flight.

My eyes met Lailah's, and my mouth curved into the widest grin. This had been my proudest moment. Carefully, I drew my hand up to the side of my face and waved by pressing my fingers and palms together. Subtle.

Her head shook lightly from side to side, and her mouth pressed into a thin, hard line. I could tell just by her eyes, that she was not interested in letting everyone know that she had been acquainted with me, even in the slightest.

She came to the school under the guise of another name. Her mother's maiden one: Delacour. I understood her reasoning. She hadn't wanted to arrive as Gaunt with the known precedents associated with their family.

Then there was me. Just a Sallow. Three adults dead, one in Azkaban. Perhaps if I added another verse, that could have been a nursery rhyme. She wanted zero relation to the detrimental events that were a precursor to her. Though, I wished she would have chosen my surname.

Maybe if she liked my answers to her pestering questions, she would have been more inclined to the idea. But I couldn't lie to her.

"Dad. If I were to use your name instead of father or mother's, both my aunt and mother would not take lightly to it. They would consider it a crime against the family." Her voice was muddled from her hands holding her full cheeks. She had sat in this position for so long, I was sure her elbows bruised against the table.

"I was just curious, my moon." My eyes met hers while I sat caddy-corner away from her seat. Her light eyes crinkled when she sheepishly smiled at my response.

She removed her hands from her face and clasped her fingers together, as if they were holding her poised. " I'm not daft, you know? Mother let me view the pensieve two years prior, and some memories were inaccessible."

She flattened her palms on the table and eyed me suspiciously, "Strangely enough, you were the one person absent from the majority of the recollections. If you allowed me to bear witness to what occurred between you and my parents, then I would gladly take Sallow as my name."

"Lailah, dear, you know that I cannot go against your mother's wishes. She will show you when she and you are ready." I bowed my head at her, silently hoping she would drop the conversation.

"Dad. I overheard Aunt Kass before. You cannot touch her, love her, or be with her. I realize you are only here to raise me. But why? Please. Give me a hint." She stood from her spot and rounded the corner of the table. Her small hands gripped my bicep, squeezing against my cloak.

She appeared desperate. No one would even entertain her comprehension in the slightest, even though she was much more perceptive than we all wished for.

"Fine, darling. Sit down." I commanded. I had no desire to resurface these thoughts, but if anyone needed to hear them, it was Lailah.

I cleared my throat and began speaking slowly, gathering my thoughts as I went, "Your mother arrived at Hogwarts as a new fifth-year. Her magic was unmatched, and both your father and I learned quickly it was because she harbored ancient magic. A power that went unseen for centuries."

The way Lailah looked up at me, hearing of just the beginning of our adventures, had made her seem like she regressed six years in the past. Her eyes widened while her head leaned forward with each word, absorbing the tales like they were the law of the land.

Perhaps I shouldn't have continued, but Lailah was old enough for stories about princesses. It seemed to be roughly the same. "Your mother had every man wrapped around her finger, whether she wanted to or not."

I inhaled deeply before sighing, "Even me. A few of our professors insisted we team up, and I helped her with her studies and took her around the nearby villages to help her assimilate better to Hogwarts."

"And?" Lailah had literally been at the edge of her seat.

"And we fell in love." My voice broke when I got the words out.

Lailah's face twisted, "Fell in love?" She almost appeared offended. "I thought the hidden memories were about your sister or some battles I had been too young to watch."

"Sweetheart." I grabbed her hand on the table and spoke quickly, "I loved her first. Before your father. When I was sent to Azkaban, your father comforted her. Kept her safe throughout my trials."

Lailah hadn't reciprocated conversation. She just stared at me.

"And your mother succeeded, until I returned. Once I reentered her life, she had to make a choice. Me or Ominis. Obviously, it was him. It would have always been him. Your mother made sure I understood that. In between then and now, I loved other women. But none of them compared to your mother; I couldn't let her go. I have loved her since the day I met her, and that is why I stayed. And for you, of course. Ominis was like my brother, and you needed a father. So, I stepped in."

"That's the short answer. That's all I'll give you for now." I released her hand from mine and fiddled my own hands together out of stress. Her mother was going to be thoroughly upset with me. I just knew it.

I relinquished her from our deal when I saw the betrayal plastered on her face. "Choose Delacour. Or Behrakis. Or Burke. But don't consider Sallow. It's a cursed name, and now I can truly see you don't want it."

I pushed away from the table and apparated to Feldcroft after that. To get away.

We had made amends since then, and Lailah told me how much I meant to her. Although, Antoinette was furious. Rightfully so.

Despite Lailah's contestation, both her mother and I agreed that she could hear more details upon graduation. Seven years away.

"Lailah Delacour." A voice called. I could not quite recognize it, and she shyly approached the platform. She gripped the edge of her cloak for comfort, and then her footsteps trailed over to the stool in the center of the floor.

Politely, she bent down and reached for the hat. "May I?" Her normal, excited voice had been replaced with a higher-pitched, meek sounding squeak.

"Of course!" The hat bellowed loudly. It's gruffness echoed only to the front row.

She removed the omniscient hat and gently sat it on top of her pale locks. She shifted into the stool and kicked her feet, patiently waiting.

The disembodied voice grew quieter. It seemed as it was whispering secrets in her ears before its tone increased to announce, "Slytherin!"

I couldn't help myself. I pushed myself away from the sturdy table and got to my feet. My claps were much louder than those next to me. Lailah hurriedly took the hat and set him back in his spot, not before shooting me a glare that meant, "Stop that. Don't you dare."

She was stubborn, like everyone in her family.

Like me.

Whether Antoinette was accustomed to the idea or not, Lailah would always be my daughter. Not by blood, but by choice. And I was so fortunate that now, she accepted me into her life via her own decision.