Volume II: Alternate Ending III

Kassia's Point-of-View
Mykonos, Greece
August 1896

Xilia had invited us all to a disclosed location near Hogwarts for Morganna's eleventh birthday. I was hesitant...within reason. After all, she was my sister. She just happened to be a complete monster.

When I wrote to Morganna, she didn't portray herself as particularly interested with the affair through her writing. To be honest, she seemed dismayed to have a celebration without Lailah attending. The journey would have taken too long without apparition for the new family.

So, they left Lailah with Klein. I had known that Ominis and Antoinette were en route, and I even thought Sebastian had been able to take off time as an auror. Unfortunately for Marat, Iskra did the same. I feared for his reaction upon seeing them together.

The lights in the apartment flickered out, and Aesop finally emerged. His eyes crinkled when they met mine, and his warm hands wrapped around me. Since the summer months began, his presence was that of joy. We were lucky to be tucked away for awhile.

We apparated multiple times to finally appear at a castle.

But it hadn't been just any manor.

It was the Black Estate.

Was Phineas Nigellus Black truly about to host an eleven-year-old's birthday party? I chuckled audibly at the thought, and Aesop squeezed my hand in his. As if to tell me to remain serious.

He slowed his pace to meet mine, and I couldn't help but gape at the surroundings. The castle in front of me overtook most of the sky, covering the stars with its mass.

The landscape looked familiar. Perhaps it was near London. It appeared well kept.

Hundreds of shrubbery, evergreens, and flowers edged the pathway leading to the front doors. The moon reflected off the stained glass windows while the turret's gargoyles peered down at us as if we resembled peons. Plebeians. Peasants. Poor.

My head turned up at Aesop when he began scoffing. Unfortunately, it wasn't at the same idea that permeated my mind.

His disdain lingered for Dinah Hecat and Elladora Black entering through the foyer in front of us. Dinah dressed relatively modest, but Elladora's garbs were grotesquely gaudy.

I rolled my eyes and elbowed Sharp when I noticed, as well.

We both continued playfully jabbing each other with our bony arms until we stepped onto the porch. Phineas Nigellus Black himself greeted us and invited us inside. The severe face and abstract goatee he wore stared back at me while I curtsied and muttered some graces toward him.

I tugged at Aesop's cloak to scurry past the host to reunite with our family.

Marat came into view first. Green coloring plagued his cheeks; his eyes were glossed over, like Ominis.'

I opened my mouth to question his appearance, but Xilia appeared beside me. She gripped my bicep in her arms and whispered against my ear, "Don't try anything heroic tonight, Kass."

A chill ran down my spine at the feeling of her lips grazing my skin. My head cocked to the side when I finally processed the words she chose. What in Merlin's name had she been plotting?

Through the corner of my vision, I witnessed Ominis and Antoinette fighting the crowd to meet us at the center of the ballroom. The elite society overtook the majority of the room, but there were a few lower status wizarding folk on the sides of the enormous room.

Multiple chandeliers hung over us similar to the candles in Hogwarts' great hall. The hushed, gossiping voices echoed off the paneled walls while the marbled floor caused an array of clicking from ladies' heels and mens' dress shoes.

Once Antoinette reached me, she wrapped her arms around my waist and locked her fingers against the small of my back.

She mimicked Xilia's previous movement to whisper something in confidence, but her tone sounded more frantic.

"Morganna has been pressing her necklace since we arrived, but I can't find her." Her widened eyes jumped back and forth, searching my expression for answers.

"What? Is that why—"

My speech was cutoff by Phineas bellowing at the front of the ballroom, "Distinguished ladies and gentlemen." He caught our attention only to lower his voice, "And others. We are gathered here for the Annual Sacrifice."

The party rose their champagne glasses and began clinking them toward one another. What in Merlin's name?

Antoinette locked her gaze on mine, and my fingers hovered over the wand residing inside my cloak in preparation for whatever lied ahead.