Volume II: XXI

Ominis' Point-of-View

I pushed my feet over the side of the mattress and began buttoning my billowed shirt. I sighed at the thought of leaving her, even if it was just for a day. Attending Milton's trial with the rest of my family was the least of my worries.

The dress coat scrunched against the sheets while I slipped my arms inside the sleeves. I managed to put on my tights and slacks without waking her.

I shifted myself forward off the bed and slid my feet into loafers waiting for me. I strolled quietly over to the vanity and poured the distilled water from the decanter into the small, delicate bowl.

The glass bottle made a soft thud as it rested back on the wood. I scooped some of the water into my hands and rubbed it against my face. I was as ready as I would ever be.

I did not heard her wake from her slumber. Her voice was drowsy as she asked, "I had not realized we had an event today, Omi." I could hear the sheets shuffling between her legs when I approached the canopied bed.

"I have to attend Milton's hearing. You must stay here and rest until Kassia and I return to coalesce our blood. Morganna had told me she would keep you company. And Klein will watch Marvolo, so you needn't worry about his antics." My voice was strained. I truly wanted to stay beside her to ensure proper healing.

Her fingers intertwined in mine, "Will you send for Morganna?"

"Of course, my love. I long for you." I knelt down next to the bed and pressed my lips into her hair.

She brought her palms to my cheeks and took my face in her hands. She melded our lips together before pulling away to declare, "I love you."

I had wished every moment could be savored in the pensieve. I wanted to know how her eyes searched mine, like how Sebastian had previously said. I would have done anything to see her lips curl upward while looking at me. I sighed at the thought.

I stood up and ambled down the corridor. I moved slowly down the stairs.

I made it about halfway toward the landing when I felt hands on my back. My wand dropped and plinked down the steps while my balance faltered.

Someone had pushed me down the rest of the stairs.

"What the fuck?" I screamed. Thankfully, I wasn't physically hurt; although, my body felt sore.

Orion's loud, cheeky laugh bellowed in the main foyer.

"You take full responsibility for your dame, do you not?" The strain in Orion's voice worsened with each word. A hiss scathed through his teeth. He had switched to Parseltongue out of anger.

Sounds emitted from his throat, "You let her irritate Milton. She tends to be the reason for most of the problems around here anymore. Does this family mean nothing to you?" Orion's tone was thick with annoyance and disapproval.

I managed to stifle my laugh. This family. Who in their right mind would want to be apart of something so heinous?

I returned his cadence, "This family means everything to me, Orion. You were there when father blinded me, and I stayed. I could have left when I turned of age. But I stayed." I swallowed hard attempting to subdue the memory.

Mother was putting prawns into a large pot at the stove. A timer for the loaves had went off, and she scurried over to the oven. She began stirring the pot with her wand from the other side of the kitchen.

I felt as if I were helping. I pulled one of the chairs over to the stove and climbed on top. My mother was tending to the fresh bread while I grabbed the spoon from the pot and churned it clockwise. The boiling water simmered and rose, and my mother turned around to see what the commotion was.

She ran over to me and picked up the metal pot. It clanked against the stove before it toppled over onto her. Her legs had been burned. Badly.

My father apparated into the kitchen and stood over me. His face was redder than I had ever seen it, and he kept looking from me to my mother.

He took his wand and muttered a spell I had never heard. They way he spit it off of his tongue sounded insidious. The pain was inconceivable; it felt like the boiling water had entered my vision.

That was the last bit of sight I ever encountered, and the only echoing I could hear was mother's screams ensuing afterward.

Orion had been the one to console me. Milton and Marat were nowhere to be found.

I looked in his direction and imagined what his face would look like in this moment.

Xilia's footsteps ascended down the steps behind us. Her Parseltongue sounded more broken than most purebloods, but it was clearly understood, "Do not disrespect this family today. Either of you."

The hiss at the end could command any Gaunt to fall to their knees. She had summoned the rage of her ancestor, Medusa. My jaw clenched at her tone. I reluctantly followed her outside, and we joined the rest of my family in the carriage out front.