Volume II: LXIX

Marat's Point-of-View
The Gaunt Manor
December 1895

"Father, can we open presents now?" Marvolo kept trailing behind me throughout the night to ask.

Thankfully, this time, Morganna stood in front of him and shook her finger. "We mustn't open presents this instant, Marvolo. Saint Nicholas still needs to bring the rest of the gifts during the night."

I watched them bicker until Ominis appeared beside me. "Has Xilia spoken with you?" His voice was panicked.

He bit his nails while his brows furrowed. It appeared he was trying to formulate the correct words since his thoughts were out of order, puzzled almost.

I gave him a direct answer to see if that would help stabilize his mind. "Not since before the party began. Should I be worried?" I raised my eyebrows at his concerned expression.

Ominis scoffed, "Well, she seems particularly enthralled with the idea of acting as a family." He shoved his hands in his pockets and tapped his foot on the ground. His ears rose when he clenched his jaw in annoyance.

"Oh. Well. Yes." I stuttered at him. "When she pulled Iskra aside, we explained the situation. And she had been receptive."

I drug him into one of the corridors off the main foyer. I anticipated his response correctly.

"Receptive?" His thoughts were muddled at my wording. "Was she receptive when she let her husband, our father, blind me or when she consistently cursed you with Unforgiveables for her own benefit?" He seethed. Redness smothered his face while his timbre increased.

I contemplated, "She has never hurt Morganna or Marvolo. And when Orion's little Marianne had been alive, she treated her with such kindness."

"And she tends to treat your little ones like pests," Ominis retorted.

Technically, he was correct. But Xilia had never laid a finger on them. She only inflicted pain with her own children.

He had been getting angrier with every second. "And then what? You cannot blood bind during pregnancy. If you wait until after, you cannot guarantee they will be of pureblood status, and Xilia could—would..."

His voice trailed and he slid down against the wall. He placed his hands to his face, and I bent down in front of him.

I held my ground. "If anything goes wrong, Ominis, we'll kill her. Remember?"

"Sure. Fine. Whatever. I just do not need anything happening to my Lailah." He folded his arms across his chest. "Or Antoinette. Not that she can't hold her own."

"You speak as if you have so much to lose. I technically have a mistress and three children now. So, you could have been dealt my hand." I smiled wryly, and he finally broke. Laughter escaped him while he extended his hand asking for help up.

"You know what. You're right. You are fucked, Marat." He began chuckling so hard, he teared up.

I happily obliged in getting him to his feet, and we rejoined the scene.

I was glad to see everyone enjoying themselves, even if Ominis hadn't been. There was no danger; Xilia's mind seemed relenting enough.

I noticed Iskra and Morganna had been teasing Marvolo by following him around the room poorly singing Christmas carols. I slid my hand behind Iskra's waist and pulled her away into a waltz.

"Hello, darling." My tone was sweet, and I lifted her hand from my suit jacket and kissed it.

Most of the guests in the room had been dancing along to the festive music, but I still needed to figure out who had spoken to my mother. Not that it truly mattered since she was in high spirits all of the sudden, and consequences were not in the cards anymore.

Elladora and Ursula's thoughts were of no substance, and I had scoured Sebastian's mind many times since he arrived. However, I didn't encounter anything concerning until I saw him with his lass.

I heard him speak her name in a disdainful manner, like he had sucked on a lemon and then called for her. "Imelda."

It had been her. She sent an anonymous owl to the estate. Imelda Reyes: A cross bitch. Her thoughts were just as ugly as her physical appearance.

Look at how smug she is. Parading her child around like she hadn't torn Sebastian's heart to pieces. And then the other broad had followed in her footsteps. But her child would be a bastard, and she had already been brandished a whore. She deserved it. Nasty cunt.

I could have easily cursed her. It would've taken only the flick of my wrist. But I settled instead.

Sebastian's mind filled itself with certain images of both Antoinette and Iskra. Constantly. But he never once thought about Imelda in that manner.

"I'll be back, love. I just need to do one thing." I pressed my lips to Iskra's fingers and spun her around one last time. 

My eyes locked on one of the platters holding champagne, and I took two between my fingers.

I casually approached this Imelda and decided to not lower myself much for a bow. She curtsied back as if she were in the presence of royalty.

My sinister tone mimicked the envious voice of her thoughts when I commented, "I've never seen you at our events before. Would you care to introduce yourself?"

She seemed flabbergasted. "Imelda Reyes." She extended her hand, and I looked her up and down. She let her hand fall awkwardly beside her while my face turn into a scowl.

I leaned in close to her and breathed into her ear, "Every time Sebastian is intimate with you, he is thinking of either her or her." I pointed to my Iskra and Ominis' Antoinette. "Actually, he seems to believe your face resembles that of an English Bulldog." I cackled at her and walked away. Serves her right.

After our small interaction, the night carried on without any plight.