Volume II: LXXIII

Morganna's Point-of-View
The Gaunt Manor
Late July 1896

I decided to send an owl to Aunt Kassia inviting our family to visit the manor. Mother Xilia's face and entire body turned a white sheen when I admitted I had done so.

Up until their arrival, butterflies ricocheted around my stomach. I only had one more month until Aunt Toi adopted me. I held onto her promise; however, she had not reminded me of it since her initial offer.

So, I mentally readied myself to encounter the entire idea was a farce.

Not surprisingly, Mother Xilia expressed her disappointment in me in a multitude of ways. But the most prominent manner had been recruiting Marvolo to demonstrate his superior magical ability directly in front of me. My grandmother knew I desired to leave, but if this were the way she tried to keep me, she would have needed to find a different approach.

To be honest, it didn't bother me anymore. Marvolo would be destined for tragedy, while I thrived alongside Lailah and her parents. Or at least I hoped. Believing in something would always result in manifestation. Those were Aunt Kassia's words, though, not mine.

My father and Iskra had been so supportive. I was lucky to have them in contrast to the two henchman present in the home.

But this past month had been different.

Iskra delivered five weeks early, which is why a constant caravan of people were intruding on the estate. Mother Xilia ensured that my youngest brother had been properly tended to by a plethora of magical healers and even a handful of muggle physicians.

Now, family would get to see him. I peered through my window, just barely pulling the curtains open to take in the surroundings.

Aunt Kass had Lailah teetering on her hip, while Uncle Omi and Uncle Ace managed the trunks with their wands. My father stood by Mother Xilia's side as Aunt Toi trailed behind them. Her wand dangled closely to her ear, most likely conversing with Iskra.

They were just ascending up the steps while I slid down the hefty banister to throw my feet onto the floor of the main foyer.

Iskra had been so fortunate to keep my youngest brother. Once he healed, was perfect in every magical way, and I could not wait to dote on him as I did with Marvolo.

Mother Xilia entered first, glowering at my antics. But Aunt Kassia handed Lailah over to her mother in order to scoop me up into a hug.

"How is my favorite little girl?" Aunt Kassia took my cheeks in her hands and smiled as if she just discovered fire. I was ten-years-old. I didn't need to be treated like a child anymore.

"Aunt Kassia. Stop it." My tone grew a pitch higher when I shoved her hands away and blushed at the interaction.

"Oh. Sorry," she cleared her throat and began again, lowering her voice, "How is my very pious and mature woman?" Her face had not looked the slightest bit serious, and my eyes skimmed my eyelids while I laughed at her poor attempt to treat me like the young dame I had become.

"Now, was that so hard?" I lifted my chin and did my best impression of my grandmother.

More laughing ensued while I greeted everyone. Lailah was much bigger than before, and she had managed to walk on her own. Though, no one ever let her walk when arms were available. She was the most spoiled daughter, granddaughter, and niece, but she thankfully never acted it.

I still couldn't believe that she had grown so much. Even her babbling turned into words, "M-mom, ju-juice."

Aunt Toi fumbled with her bag when she asked Lailah, "What do we say when we want something?"

Lailah's "L" sounds were not so formulated. They all sounded like "W's." She had called herself, "Waiwah" while her "R's" seemed nonexistent. I was coined "Moganna."

Her shrill voice filled the space when she remembered the word, "Pwease!"

Adorable. That's what Lailah had been. She always would be.

The entire lot had been catching up when Iskra carefully approached with Markov in her arms. Once the first head turned and saw the little boy, the crowd hushed.

Aunt Kassia spoke first, "Oh Iskra. Can I hold him? He's just so precious." Her hands extended toward the small bundle of cloth with the baby's heading peeking out.

"Of course, Kass." Iskra beamed. She gingerly handed the ball of blankets over, and Aunt Kass' motherly instincts kicked in. She turned toward Uncle Aesop and bounced him between them.

"Morganna hadn't told us the name." Aunt Kassia eyed me before looking inquisitively toward Iskra. Her brows raised with the same motion of a smile.

Iskra's entire face reddened. "Markov Anastasyo Gaunt. Mark for short, but I wanted to keep the Bulgarian touch, if it had been possible. Anastasyo is for my sister who passed during a trial; I'm sure you recall the situation." Her eyes flickered to both Aunt Kassia and Uncle Ace. Based on their reaction, they must have been aurors when the incident happened.

She nodded solemnly and offered to hand the little one to Aunt Toi. Iskra agreed, and Lailah's sapphire eyes squinted at him from Uncle Ominis' arms. She leaned as far over as her small body let her. The face she made scrunched up in curiosity.

"Baby." Was all she said.

"Markov." Aunt Toi corrected her. "Mark."

"Mack." Lailah agreed. There was no escaping her toddler talk.

The room burst into laughter at Lailah's confused but subtle declaration, and then everyone filtered into the veranda.

The front door clicked again while Uncle Ominis had still been bouncing Lailah in his arms. I hid behind a pillar to see who arrived. My uncle pulled his wand out to recognize the wizard.

"Sebastian!" Uncle Omi called.

"My one and only brother." Sebastian smiled deviously at my uncle. He opened his arms to embrace my uncle but dropped them when Uncle Ominis turned to face him.

The shade of his skin turned white, and the freckles scattered about his face seemed more prominent.

"Is this her?" His eyes grew intensely wide as he knelt down to her level. His face looked child-like when he observed her.

"She's like a little Antoinette," he exclaimed. His voice was light, like air when he continued, "But with Marat's eyes." I watched while Sebastian's gaze moved from Uncle Ominis to Lailah many times.

Lailah pointed in Sebastian's face and looked disgusted. "Bad man."

I slapped my hands to my mouth to stifle the inevitable laughter. Yes, Lailah. Bad man, indeed.

Uncle Ominis redirected her, "Lailah. Just because he looks like the villain in your princess books, does not mean he is one."

He held her closer to his friend and spoke deliberately, "Lailah. This is Uncle Sebastian. You can call him Uncle Seb, if you'd like."

Lailah pressed her face into Uncle Ominis' suit coat and hid behind her ringlets. Clever girl.

I scoffed at the words and turned to leave. Aunt Kassia filled me in on Sebastian's motives before with our letters, and I'll never understand the patience both my aunt and uncle had with him.

Mother Xilia directed the elves to set the dinner table. It was about to be an interesting night. I was sure of it.