The Free Therapy Trial Runs Out

Start from the beginning

Since they'd left camp, she saw him differently. He had more courage than she'd realized. He was the one looking out for her. She had to admit that the change was kind of nice. The river widened into the ocean. The Pax turned north.

As they sailed, Frank kept her spirits up by telling her silly jokes—Why did the Minotaur cross the road? How many fauns does it take to change a lightbulb? He pointed out buildings along the coastline that reminded him of places in Vancouver.

The sky started to darken, the sea turning the same rusty color as Ella's wings. June 21 was almost over. The Feast of Fortuna would happen in the evening, exactly seventy-two hours from now.

Finally Frank brought out some food from his pack—sodas and muffins he'd scavenged from Phineas's table. He passed them around. "It's okay, Hazel," he said quietly. "My mom used to say you shouldn't try to carry a problem alone. But if you don't want to talk about it, that's okay."

Hazel took a shaky breath. She was afraid to talk—not just because she was embarrassed. She didn't want to black out and slip into the past. "You were right," she said, "when you guessed I came back from the Underworld. I'm...I'm an escapee. I shouldn't be alive."

She felt like a dam had broken. The story flooded out. She explained how her mother had summoned Pluto and fallen in love with the god. She explained her mother's wish for all the riches in the earth, and how that had turned into Hazel's curse.

She described her life in New Orleans— everything except her boyfriend Sammy. Looking at Frank, she couldn't bring herself to talk about that. She described the Voice, and how Gaea had slowly taken over her mother's mind.

She explained how they had moved to Alaska, how Hazel had helped to raise the giant Alcyoneus, and how she had died, sinking the island into Resurrection Bay. She knew Percy, (Y/N) and Ella were listening, but she spoke mostly to Frank.

When she had finished, she was afraid to look at him. She waited for him to move away from her, maybe tell her she vas a monster after all. Instead, he took her hand. "You sacrificed yourself to stop the giant from waking. I could never be that brave."

She felt her pulse throbbing in her neck. "It wasn't bravery. I let my mother die. I cooperated with Gaea too long. I almost let her win." "Hazel," said Percy. "You stood up to a goddess all by yourself. You did the right thing."

"Yeah Hazel, gris-gris or not, escapee's a bit of a stretch Hazel. Me. I'm an escapee, broke the gates to get out, just nobody tell my dad. He'll dock my allowance." He chuckled. Then bent down and smiled at Hazel again.

"You? I'd say you pretty much have permission back then, and you sure as hell do now.  Nico di Angelo approved life VISA, and even better, (Y/N) (L/N) approved gold star certification. It doesn't get much more VIP then that." He smirked.

"I'm sure she feels honoured (Y/N), now leave her alone." Percy said, "I will. I was just..." His voice trailed off, as if he'd had an unpleasant thought. For the tiniest flicker of a second, his eyes changed back to the normal gold colour.

Then he asked, "What happened in the Underworld...I mean, after you died? You should've gone to Elysium. But if Nico brought you back—" "I didn't go to Elysium." Her mouth felt dry as sand. "Please don't ask..."

"Sorry. Didn't mean to pry, bad habit." He nodded slowly before going to chat with Percy. She knew he meant it, that it wasn't malicious. But it was too late. She remembered her descent into the darkness, her arrival on the banks of the River Styx, and her consciousness began to slip.

"Hazel?" Frank asked. "Slip Sliding Away," Ella muttered. "Number five U.S. single. Paul Simon. Frank, go with her. Simon says, Frank, go with her." Hazel had no idea what Ella was talking about, but her vision darkened as she clung to Frank's hand.