R

Rain was pouring that day Aeri was crying outside. Her clothes drenched, her hair a mess and her eyes...

Lifeless.

I shielded her with an umbrella and she tilted her head up to stare at me. My heart seemed to stutter in my chest but that was impossible. I was not a human.

She weakly smiled. "Oh, Namjoon. Did you come here to meet me?"

We had been speaking casually every now and then. This was the first time I saw her lovely face stained with tears.

I pursed my lips. "You're going to catch a cold. Why don't you get back inside?"

She smiled again. "I'm fine. You're getting wet. Hold the umbrella more to yourself."

I clenched my jaw. "I wish you were more selfish, Aeri."

Wiping her tears, she giggled. "I am. You just don't know me well, Namjoon."

But I knew. And I did not know why I approached her in the first place. Did I want her to call my name? Did I want to listen to her thoughts?

I brought out a gray box of jewelry from my coat pocket and reached it out to her.

"What is it?" She asked and opened it to see the pair of teardrop earrings made of diamonds. A gasp left her. "Namjoon?"

"Please take it." And live a better life.

In the end, she gave them back to me.

"Thank you," she said. "But it's too much for me."