xlix. shoe store--jim root (slipknot)

Start from the beginning

"Oh, are you looking for something?" you inquire. 

"Yeah, actually," he chuckles a bit. 

"Oh, shit. Whatcha looking for?" you stand up. "Also, nice shirt."

You talk to him for a little bit as he tries on a pair of black chukka boots. 

"Hey, what's your name by the way?" he asks you before you turn to help other customers. 

"I'm Y/n," you reply. "Yours?"

"Jim," your new friend smiles.

"It's good to meet you. Jenna at the register is gonna ring you up, alright?" you inform as the formerly dismissive group now needs your help immediately.

Jim nods. 

...

For a few days a week after that, Jim takes little trips to the mall. It was cool to meet someone just like that in a shoe store. 

Each time you see Jim, your coworkers give you a little smirk. He'll talk to you and wander about the store if you're talking to other customers, but he always trots back up to you when you're just organizing boxes. 

Jim soon becomes a known figure in your shoe store. By some external force unknown to you (but probably your coworkers), Jim receives some knowledge of the schedule for the next two weeks. Real wingman work, guys. It's actually them who also inform you that Jim's flirting with you and is not, in fact, an avid enjoyer of office job shoes. 

...

"Hey, you guys wanna do a mall trip?" Jim asks the group when they're all lounging in the living room.

"Why? So you can see your crush?" Paul raises his eyebrows and smirks.

"Well, yes, but the store she works at also sells pretty damn good shoes. Also, I think we're overdue for clothes that don't constantly reek."

"I'm down," Joey shrugs. 

"Me too! I wanna see your crush," Corey grins as Jim rolls his eyes and smacks his arm. 

"Fine, but don't embarrass me."

"Oh, I won't," Corey reaches up and ruffles his friend's hair. 

So Jim, Joey, Paul, Corey, and Mick (at Jim's behest) load into a car and drive to the mall where your store is. 

When they arrive at your store, Jim is hesitant to come in. He notices that you're gathered around the counter with a coworker named Isa and another one he's only seen twice, but both times he's made you laugh and have an obviously good time. Jim wonders if you prefer that coworker to him. 

"C'mon, man. That guy doesn't have shit on you," Mick nudges Jim with his elbow. "A strong gust of wind could mow him over."

When you see Jim stalk in, your eyes light up and you walk up to him. 

"Hey," you smile. 

"Hi," Jim flashes a smile back. "I hope you don't mind, I brought some of my bandmates."

"As long as they buy something. We've not made enough sales for the day all week," you shrug. 

"We've got you," Jim nods. "Boys, get some shoes."

"Yes, sir," one of his bandmates nods. 

"That's Corey. He's the singer. He's loud and a bit cocky, but he's good at what he does," your friend explains. 

"Gotcha. Now I have to ask or else my manager is gonna yell at me, are you looking for anything or are you just here for a visit?"

"If I get your discount, I'm sure I could be persuaded to find something. Still sucks that I have to order it though. Y'all should really carry bigger sizes than 13."

"Ah, yes, how else would we accommodate the tallest of the population?" you tease. You look past Jim to see a shorter man (at least a foot shorter than the guitarist) who has his gaze fixed on you. "Need help finding something?"

"Oh, no, I was just waiting for Jim," he replies. "Nice store, though!"

You glance back to Jim and raise an eyebrow. 

"Don't worry about it," Jim hums. 

"Mkay. I'm gonna check on Corey before he destroys something and gets me in trouble," you roll your eyes. 

(In the back, your other two coworkers have made themselves busy not creepily at all watching you on the cameras and groaning because Jim didn't ask you out.)

Jim slumps over to Joey and Paul, who are both looking at the same pair of sneakers. 

"Struck out?" Paul asks. 

"Didn't even ask," the guitarist groans. 

"Yet," Paul corrects.

"I second that, but that yet better come soon before I abandon this place for Vans," Joey huffs. 

Jim has to hype himself up internally (with Mick's help too) for a little bit until he approaches the counter after Corey checks out. 

You snag the second receipt from the machine and write your number on the back of it before you hand it to Jim with a little smile and blush. 

"Just call me," you chuckle. "I'm closing, so I can't do anything tonight, but I'm free all weekend."

Jim's whole existence glitches for a moment as he takes the receipt. He stalks out of your shoe store with Joey and Paul giving him proud pats on the back. 

Speaking of back, you hear some happy whoops from the back room of your store as your coworkers emerge. 

"Oh, shut the hell up, you douches. I'm taking my 15," you roll your eyes. 

...

yall i was at work the other day and someone who looked so much like 90s jim root came in and i almost died 

anyway, i hope you liked this load of debauchery 

keep surviving and vibing cuties <3