Warm remembrance

Long chapter ahead :)

"Are you serious?" My voice comes out in a whisper, since it was pitch black outside and I didn't want to wake the wrong people up.

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?" Carmen says in a cussing tone making me snort out of my nose.

"It was a re... rhetorical question." I had troubling pronouncing the word but eventually got it. Carmen's mouth hangs open before she closes it with an eye roll.

"Just try it on." She throws the leather vest that was five sizes to big at me. I hold it in my hands before switching it over in my hands. There, on the back, was a stitching of a white butterfly with float lines around it.

It was a dark brown but in the shadows it looked pitch black, like night time. It had two pocket in front with buttons to button it up in winter time. It weighed a reasonable amount.

I push one arm through, then the other. I hold my arms out with a smile that was hurting my cheeks.

"Give me a little spin." Carmen says between chuckles, with my arms still out I spin slowly before facing the woman that has been nothing but good to me.

"Does it look okay?" I ask as I examine the rusty stones on the pockets.

"Perfection." Her choice of word causes me to look up at her. My arms latch around her neck by themselves.

I could feel her tense up from my surprised action of affection. Maybe too soon, I think as I start to back away but am stopped by her familiar strong arms.

"Thank you Carmen." I wisp-her in her ear and I feel her smile against my shoulder.

"Your welcome , mi mariposa." She holds me tighter

____

   Rapid gun fire was the first thing I heard as I woke up. Exhausted and hungry. I wasn't surprised to see the sun already high up, telling me that it was mid day already. Although, the rapid gun fire was what I caught onto first. I jump up from my laying position and immediately grab my bow and sling it over my shoulders. Sweat sticking to my fingers but I do nothing to make them less slimy.

The gun fire now mixed in with ground shaking explosions every seconds so I moved quicker. Slinging my backpack over my shoulder in one go before looking around. Listening for another explosion to tell me where to go.

BOOM, it came from the left.

I don't run. If I run I'll waist energy to quick. Besides, it'll be dumb to run into a mixture of bombs and gun fire, so I'm walking towards it.

I step out of the tress and look at a rare view. It seemed like a bombed up prison... walkers moving all over it. So that canceled out the idea of scavenging through the place.

It was clear that people lived here. And judging by the broken down fences and the Crumbling toward near the building and on the building... I would say that it was a people vs people type of shit that went down.

Shame.

If I said I felt bad towards the people who once lived here, I would be lying. So I'm not going to say I'm sorry. No time for that type of shit.

Something from the corner of my eyes catches my attention. A woman and a man leaning against the woman catches the attention of my eyes. They both run into the trees rather loudly and I follow them. I follow them because my eyes caught sight of the huge backpack on the mans back.

I could kill them and take it. Easy peasy lemon squeezing, as he would say. I shake my head. No time to relish on the things he would say. I'm far from there. I look up at the burning prison one last time before descending back into the woods.