18. a fun summer

𝟭𝟴

𝟭𝟴. 𝗮 𝗳𝘂𝗻 𝘀𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿

belly

tell me  when you're coming back so i'll go too!

okayyy
taylor's bus is coming like in 10 and we'll probably eat some ice cream
i'll tell you when we drive home

oki dokiii
have fun belly🥳🥳🥳

thank you lenn i love you💛

I put my phone in the pocket behind my shorts and walk downstairs, I noticed two boys playing mario kart, assuming it was my brother and Conrad, I turn around to avoid them.

"Where are you going, lady?" I heard Jacob say.

Jacob is way too into what's happening between Conrad and I, he's asked me several times today, keeps asking me: Why were you fighting? Is this about your crush? Oh is this about the boy you became friends with? Is Conrad jealous!? You swear you have nothing going on?

And I am TIRED of it. Obviously if I were to date anyone, he would be the first to know, after all he's my best friend and my brother. Which is a weird mix but still enjoyable.

I groaned. "I'm hanging out with Steve, adios." I said as I closed the door behind me, not waiting for them to answer.

Hanging out with Steve was probably the best idea to avoid both my brother and Conrad. Jacob wants to know what happened yesterday because he's soooo sure it was about our relationship? Which is non-existent.

"So... what's the plan for today?" He asked as I got into the car, I turn to him and give him a smile as I put on my seatbelt.

"I know we just met but i don't have anyone else to tell this to other than my friend who's back at home which is not that helpful because she's back at home." I babbled with my eyes closed.

"Huh," Steve said, nodding. I open my eyes slowly and look at him, "What's wrong he asked.

I sighed in relief. "Do you remember the guy that interrupted us yesterday at the book event?" I asked.

he nodded slowly. "Yeah, what about him?" He asked.

"Everything, on a scale of 1 to 10, how bored would you get if i tell you about him?" I ask, seriously.

Steve looks away in thought. "-1," He finally said.

"Start the car, then. It's a long story."

We ended parking in front of the beach and bought ourselves some ice cream. I told him all about Conrad and how he's so confusing.

"So then yesterday after you drove me back home, I asked him why he followed me into the café when he knew I was with you." I licked my ice cream before continuing, "I basically made him admit that he cared about me because I know he does. but he denied it and said he didn't care."

Steve stared at me, his ice cream dripping down his cone, strongly confused at what I was saying.

"So he's jealous?" He finally asked. I look at him as I slowly take a spoon of my ice cream.

"Is he? I don't know, that's the thing. He's so so confusing and I don't know if he likes me or not, my brother says he does but he always says stuff like that so I don't believe him."

The guy nodded slowly, "What if he actually likes you? You know the saying, 'if a boy picks on you it means he likes you' I used that on some girls back in middle school...they all the me now."

I snorted at his last comment. I used to do that when I liked boys in kindergarten, maybe that's why I am the way I am.

"Well, if he likes me... he should really show it because honestly I'm too stupid for hints."

Steve and I got quiet for a few minutes as we both finished our ice cream. He took the car keys out of his car and closed it. "Let's walk." He simply said. I followed besides him, both still quiet.

"Some guys like to think that if they express themselves less, they'll look tougher. Maybe that's the reason why Conrad doesn't tell you how he feels, because he's scared of what you'll say and how you'll react."

What Steve said made me think about all the almost confessions we've had in the past, how every time he tries to change the subject and avoid it.

"So you're saying he's just afraid of having feelings?" That's so stupid. Okay not stupid just....stupid!

I've known Conrad since literally all my life, I know what he likes and what he dislikes. I'be seen him cry, I think we're way past the point of "afraid of feelings".

"Maybe? I can't talk for him but it could be why."

I nod slowly, maybe I should make the first move. Maybe I should just tell him how I feel, rejection is probably not that and anyway.

I know, I know. Everyone says he likes me but why should I believe them? I trust no one because at the end of the day, people are liars and pieces of shi— anyway.

We kept on walking until my phone starting blowing up with notifications.

belly

I completely forgot to text you😭😭
we're like 2 min away from the house

dwwwww
We'll be there soon!

greatttt
you are bringing Steve right???

yessirrrr
forgot to mention but cam's vegan

is he? huh
I'll tell my mom
Thankssss

😚😚😚
we'll be there in 10

Okiiiii

"We better get back to the house, Belly is on her way." I say as I put my phone back in my pocket. He nods as we both turn around and walk back to the car.

It was a 5 minute walk with the two of us and silence. Steve is nice, even though I met him a little bit more than 24 hours ago, I feel like I've known him for a long time.

"So..what are you going to do about Conrad?" He asked as we finally got to the car.

I shrugged my shoulders and got in, "I'm not sure, maybe I'll just let it go with the flow." I chuckled at my joke.

Steve, though, didn't seem to get it because he looked at me weird. "What....?" He asked, confused.

"Forget it. I mean I don't want to make this summer about Conrad." He turns to me as he turns the car on, "I wouldn't like to spend all my summer just confused and hurt," I finished.

Steve gives me a smile, "Then we're going to make this summer fun." I grinned as I look away from him.

Yeah, we better will.

AUTHORS NOTE

This friendship will be iconic😍😍 Do we like Steve?
Honestly, I'm so glad Lennon is opening her eyes. Yeah yeah Conrad is hot but how about a hot girl summer!?

— martina