chapter 16: feelings

Mackenzie woke up before her alarm that morning. Her heart was weirdly pounding in her chest, anxiety consuming her at every thought. She didn't want to leave Justin, but there was nothing she could do if they wouldn't let her stay with him. She told him that she was just a call away, but he didn't call. Neither did the text. Does that mean he wasn't doing good?

Mackenzie didn't want to disturb him in case he was resting. Ryan told her that Pattie would call him in the morning with news and to say the time they could go to the hospital to see Justin. But the waiting was excruciating, and she almost couldn't stay still.

As Mackenzie was halfway done with her cup of tea, her heart raced when Ryan's phone finally began to ring. She jumped at the sound of the ringtone, rushing over, and snatching the phone from the table as she stared at the ID caller. Kenzie screamed for her brother as Pattie's picture shined on the screen.

"Jesus, punk. You almost gave me a heart attack. I thought someone died or something"- he mumbled under his breath, chuckling lightly as he grabbed the phone and slide his finger to answer Pattie's call- "Hey, Pattie. A little punk over here was dying of anxiety waiting for you to call"- he laughed, and Mackenzie rolled her eyes, slightly blushing- "How's JB?"

"Hi, Ry"- Pattie's voice sounded a bit tired thru the line- "He'll be alright, but it's been a rough night, not going to lie"- she explained, making Ryan frown.

"Oh, crap! Well, if he's not doing okay, maybe it's better for us to go and see him tomorrow!"

Now, Mackenzie was the one to frown. She didn't want to wait another day to see him.

"No, Ry. It'll be good for him to see you guys. Justin could use a little distraction. Just text me when you get here, and I'll go down to the reception to let you both in, alright?"

"Alright! See you soon then!"- he said before finally hanging up and meeting Mackenzie's curious eyes- "Go get ready, punk"- Ryan laughed when he saw his sister running out of the room, excitedly.

She went to the bedroom and closed the door to change from her pajamas. She swapped her silk shorts for a light low-rise pair of sweatpants and paired it with a baby white tee. After checking herself in the mirror and slipping some All-Stars on, she quickly put her long hair into two boxer braids.

When Kenny called and they were all ready, Ryan and Kenzie went inside the black SUV. The hospital was approximately 40 minutes away from the hotel, but it took them almost an hour with the crazy New York traffic.

"Mom?"- Justin's voice came out as a tired whisper when Pattie, very gently, tried to peal her hand from his. He was finally able to take a nap after being awake with a sore pelvis and the nurses bothering him every hour. Pattie just wanted him to rest, but when Ryan let her know that they were almost at the hospital, she had to get up and wake the poor child once more.

"I'm just going to the reception and let Mackenzie and Ryan in, okay?"- she explained in a hushed voice as Justin couldn't even seem to keep his eyes open- "I'll be right back, alright? Go back to sleep, my love"- when he slightly nodded and apparently fell back asleep, Pattie exited the room quietly.

The Mont Sinai Hospital was huge, with a bunch of different blocks and floors. It was quite a luxury hospital, so, despite the enormous place, it was filled with directions, it wasn't too hard for Pattie to find her way. She looked around thru all the spacious, decorated interiors as she reached the lobby on the main floor. Every aspect of the hospital had been meticulously designed to exude luxury and relaxation, offering a true calm aspect for patients and escorts.