chapter 08: a surprise

Justin woke up during the whole night, trying to help Mackenzie every time she opened her eyes. He helped her to the bathroom and waited for her outside, iced her ankle when she complained it was hurting, got her a cup of water, and rubbed her hair so she could fall asleep. He didn't care if he was going to wake up tired in the morning, he just really wanted to be there for her.

Mackenzie woke up once again but this time, it was already the next day. Her ankle was throbbing, and she couldn't fall back asleep. She sat and looked at her side to spot Justin sleeping, spread out in the middle of the bed and Ryan curled up right next to him. She felt a bit guilty to keep Justin awake all night, knowing well that he had a concert later on. She slowly got off the bed, jumping up and down on one foot to try and get herself to the living room. When Scooter spotted her, he got her arm and helped her get to the couch, where he was sitting with Pattie and eating some breakfast.

"Hey, honey"- Pattie greeted, running her hand thru Mackenzie's clean hair. After she dozed off with Justin last night, Ryan woke her up and helped her shower so she could get off her bikini and into some comfortable sweats- "How are you doing? You're up early!"

"I'm alright"- she answered, smiling sweetly- "My ankle is sore but I'm okay. Kind of bummed I need to be in a cast for so long".

"I know, it sucks, honey"- Pattie frowned- "But, we got you some crutches, so you'll be able to move a bit better by yourself. It should be here in an hour or two".

"Thanks, guys. It will be much better to be able to go to the bathroom by myself"- she laughed.

"What would you like for breakfast, kiddo? I'll make you a plate"- Scooter offered, standing up and going to the small food table- "We've got bagels, grilled cheese, yogurt, fruits, pancakes, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and muffins".

"Some yogurt and fruit would be great, thanks Scoot!"- she smiled and after making her a bowl with Greek yogurt, strawberries, honey, and granola, Scooter handed her the container and a small spoon.

While she ate, Pattie went to get everyone up. Justin had an interview so the team needed to be ready in an hour and then, everyone would go to soundcheck. It was an exciting day because the interviewer warned Justin that they would play some games during the interview and that he should wear something comfortable. Some fans were going to be there as well. But, as they all ate breakfast together, Mackenzie's face dropped:

"I'm sorry, Kenz. But there's no way you're going with Justin. There will be a bunch of girls and I can't risk you falling in the middle of a crowd. I have to go to the venue, and you can come with me, but no hopping from one place to another today"- Ryan said and Mackenzie just nodded. She really wanted to go with Justin, but she knew Ryan was just looking out for her.

"Can't we just figure something out? Her crutch is here, so it's okay. And if it isn't, Kenny could carry her inside"- Justin tried to find a way, and Mackenzie smiled lightly at him.

"Man, the day is going to be a bit crazy today. I think is better to let Mackenzie hang with Ryan, alright?"- Scooter told him, and once again, Kenzie felt disappointed.

"But maybe we..."- he started again, but Mackenzie cut him off by touching his hand over the table.

"It's alright, Jus. We'll see each other tonight at the concert, huh?"

Justin nodded, frustrated as well, but didn't say anything else. After a while, Ryan helped her get ready as the room felt silent when the crew went out for the day. Once she was ready, Mackenzie laid down on the bed and waited for Ryan to shower and get dressed. They hung for a while before the car arrived and took them to the venue.