chapter 06: a test

After Justin fell asleep, all the adults, joined by Mackenzie, sat in the living room, just making some adjustments for the next day as Pattie chatted on the phone with Justin's physician.

 Dr. Mary was Justin's doctor since he was a baby back in Stratford and as she knew him very well, Pattie always kept in touch when something happened so she could instruct  the next steps. As he was always traveling, Justin was always checked by other doctors, but Dr. Mary was always behind every cold or bug that he ever had.

"Scooter, do you think he could miss rehearsal tomorrow?"- Pattie asked, setting her phone down for a second and looking at the man, skeptically. Scooter nodded but frowned his eyebrows as he knew she was talking with the doctor- "Yeah, the morning is perfect"- she returned to talk to the voice thru the voice. After some minutes, Pattie finally hung up and met a few pairs of anxious eyes looking at her- "Dr. Mary will send a request for an exam. She'll schedule the appointment for tomorrow morning in the hospital nearby and will send me the time confirmation and address".

"Oh no, did she said anything, though?"- Ryan asked, looking up from his laptop, worriedly- "Does she knows why is this happening?"

"Not really, Ryan. She said it could be a few things, but there's a high chance that everything is stress related. Either way, they're taking some X-Rays tomorrow to check if everything looks alright".

"He's going to be alright, Pat. I'm positive!"- Scooter said, rubbing Pattie's shoulder once he realized how tense she looked.

"I'll be much more relieved after this exam is done and I'm sure"- she answered, smiling sweetly after getting up from the couch- "I'll go to bed, guys. Good night!"

After she disappeared inside the bedroom, everyone else went to bed. Alfredo and Kenny were the first ones, followed by Mackenzie and Ryan and then, Scooter and Allison after they both sent an email canceling rehearsal tomorrow. Pattie received Dr. Mary's massage with the appointment time and address of the hospital and set her alarm clock for 5:30 before going to sleep by Justin's side.

She opened her eyes with ease when she heard the beeping alarm but felt her body tired. Checking the time and deciding in letting Justin sleep for a bit longer, she got out of bed and ordered her son's breakfast before getting ready, just to make sure it got there in time for him not to go to his appoitment without eating.

"Kenny, can you please get Justin up and tell him to get ready? I'll just let Scooter know that we're going in a bit!"- Pattie asked Kenny, who had just woken up to take them to the hospital.

The bodyguard went into the room expecting to drag Justin out of bed as he was used doing, but the kid was nowhere to be found. The bathroom light was on, and he waited a little bit, but when he noticed that Justin had been in the for quite a long while, he decided to check on him.

"Justin?"- Kenny knocked gently- "Are you alright in there? - he cautiously opened the door to find Justin sitting down on the edge of the bath, fully clothed, holding himself.

"Mm-mm"- he answered, looking at the floor.

He immediately came over and knelt down in front of him: "What's wrong, man? Are you alright?"- he asked.

"I need my mom!"- Justin said, practically in tears.

"Alright, man"- he said and quickly stoked his hair- "I'll go get her, okay? Give me one second!"

Justin nodded his head: "I need my mom!"- he stressed again, and Kenny could see how desperate he looked.

"Alright, buddy. Just sit tight. I'll go and get her, okay?"- he made his way out of the bathroom, closing the door softly behind him. Kenny didn't have to say anything because Pattie spotted his face as soon as he tried to call her over. She motioned for him to wait a minute as she was letting Justin's breakfast inside. Kenny went and knocked on the bathroom door again, opening it slowly- "Man, your mom is coming, okay?"