chapter 5: little accident

The morning was a bit chaotic that day. Everyone was up before sunrise as they had a plane waiting for them at the nearest airport. Pattie and Scooter made sure that all the bags were packed the night before, not wanting any late packing and things left behind. Ryan was the first to get out of bed, trying to find Mackenzie as she was not sleeping where she should have been. He spotted all her stuff organized in the corner of the room, but his little sister was no way to be found. Knowing her as he did, he was sure she wasn't awake yet. Man, that girl could sleep. He rubbed his eyes and brushed his teeth before checking the clock and finally deciding to find the crazy kid.

He stepped out of the room and as expected, Pattie and Scooter were already there, finishing putting some stuff inside a backpack. They always made sure to keep snacks, chargers, documents, and medicine inside a bag, just in case they needed anything during the flight. And, weirdly, they always ended up needing it.

"Oh, good morning, sweetie!"- Pattie said, finally spotting him in the living room. She just zipped the bag up and stirred the cup of fresh coffee on the table in front of her- "Do you need anything?"

"Good morning"- Ryan answered, before yawning. He slept quite early the night before but felt tired anyways- "I lost my sister"- he giggled.

"Already, man? Congratulation, you had one good parenting day!"- Scooter mocked, revising some tour itinerary papers.

"She's asleep in Justin's room"- Pattie said and Ryan raised an eyebrow- "They tried inviting you to the movie session, but Justin said you were snoring pretty loud"- she chucked- "Both of them were passed out by the time the movie started".

Ryan laughed. Justin always insisted they put on a movie every now and then, but Ryan always ended up watching it alone as the boy would fall asleep by the time the entrance was rolling.

"I'm going to get Mackenzie up, are we eating breakfast here or on the plane?"- he asked.

"Here, already ordered. It should be here in about fifteen"- Scooter said, still focused on the papers he was holding.

"Ry, would you get Justin up as well? It's about time"- Pattie asked and Ryan just nodded, slowly tiptoeing inside the dark cool room. As he pushed the door open, he spotted the two kids asleep. They looked even smaller on that huge bed, but the scene was way too cute. Mackenzie had her arm over Justin's stomach, and he had his hand over hers, keeping her arm there as both of his legs were on top of hers. It was such a messy position, but they looked so comfortable.

"Aw"- he whispered to himself, taking his phone out of his pocket, and quickly snapping a picture.

"What?"- Ryan figured out that Pattie was on his heels when she asked- "They're absolutely adorable"- she said when he moved a bit inside the room, and she could see the bed.

Ryan slowly crept over to Justin's bed and turned on the lamp on the bedside table. Justin shifted a bit, uncomfortable by the sudden clarity and Mackenzie stirred before opening her eyes:

"Hey, punk"- Ry whispered, rubbing her hair a little bit- "It's time to wake up. How was your sleep?"

"Good morning, Ry"- she said quietly after a quick smile, lethargically sitting on the bed and rubbing her face. She got out of bed and made her way to the door, probably wanting a shower in her room.

Ryan looked over at Justin, who was still passed out, now, hugging a pillow. He smiled a little bit before gently rubbing his small back:

"Buddy, it's time to get up!"- he said in a low tone and Justin whined, not opening his eyes just yet- "Let's go, bud. You can nap on the plane!"