13 Dimples

Steph switched it to the video conference app and said hello to a very confused young woman. Steph said, "Hello Suz. I'm Stephanie. I am sitting next to your brother and thought I may be more helpful. Is it Suz, Suzanna, or Susie?" Suz responded that her name was Suzanna, but to call her Suz.

The man leaned over and quietly whispered, "Paul." The man's shoulder brushed against Steph's, and, without knowing why, Steph leaned into the man so her shoulder remained in contact with his.

Steph said, "Suz, with your figure, a Sheath or Pencil dress would look amazing. The Pouf dress is cute, but for a first date, you want to go for the wow factor. Depending on where he is taking you, a nice Cocktail dress would be more casual, but with those, select a conservative neckline. Definitely darker colors for the evening, especially with your skin tone."

Steph and Suz talked for about ten minutes, then Steph suggested Suz wait on buying a dress, and tonight Steph would send her some links to the types of dresses she would look amazing wearing. Suz agreed and asked Steph to text her at this number.

Paul thanked Steph for her assistance, and both continued to chat, still leaning against each other. Paul had graduated from Georgia Tech and was a Structural Engineer. He currently worked for the state and was heading home after an interview with a large engineering firm in Chicago. Paul did not hold out much hope in getting the job. They were looking for someone with more experience with tall buildings.

Paul didn't really want to move. He loved living in the small town where he was born and where his extended family still lived. But he felt he should work with a big city firm and make a lot of money. He wanted to be seen as a success by his family.

Steph explained that her father was an executive partner in a major New York investment firm, and her mother was a senior partner with a top advertising firm. If she asked, Steph was sure her parents had the contacts to get him a job at any firm in New York if that was what he wanted. Paul indicated he might take her up on the offer.

Paul told Steph all about the job in Chicago, how the interview process had taken several days, and how, in the end, it did not seem like a good fit. He told her about growing up in a small town, his four years at Georgia Tech, living in Atlanta while in college, his summer internships, and his current job working for the state. Steph was surprised at how honest Paul was and especially how interested she was in hearing more about his life.

Usually, or at least before the crash, Steph dominated any conversation and paid little attention to the thoughts or experiences of others. She thought it was adorable the way Paul seemed nervous talking about himself at first. But as he opened up, she was seeing more of his personality. Like how both his eyebrows shot up just a fraction when he talked about something he found exciting, how those cute little dimples would appear in his cheeks whenever he smiled, and how he would look embarrassed when he realized how much he had been talking, prompting Steph to ask questions until he opened up again.

She asked Paul about his family. Paul talked about his father and two older brothers. He had two sisters, Suz and Alice, who was the youngest, and his mom, who, when he was growing up, seemed like she was "mom" to every kid in town.

Paul's flight was called, and Steph could not believe they had been chatting for over two hours. The time had passed so quickly. Paul went to the desk and asked to take the next flight. This was a popular route, and there was another flight in a few hours. The next flight was full, but Paul was able to get a seat on the flight after the flight Steph was on. Paul texted his father to let him know he would be arriving on a later flight.

Steph was surprised when Paul told her about the change to a later flight. No one had ever done something like that just to spend time with her. He asked Steph if she was hungry and suggested they eat at one of the airport restaurants. After they ordered their meal, Paul told Steph he would not say another word until she told him her entire life story.

Steph smiled and stated her story was not nearly as interesting as his, but Paul insisted. Steph told him about her childhood in the City and how her parents were very caring, but their careers demanded most of their time. Steph was careful not to give the wrong impression. She thought she had a wonderful childhood. But she was never as close to her parents as he had said he was to his family.

Finally, she told Paul about the plane crash, about the pilot, and spending over six weeks surviving in the wild with Tom. She said, in one way, it had been a good experience for her in that through Tom's eyes, she had a good look at the woman she had become and was now determined to be a better person.

Paul said he couldn't imagine her not always being the wonderful person he was quickly getting to know so well. Steph, feeling a bit embarrassed, told Paul that two months ago he would not have wanted to spend five minutes with her, much less rearrange his flight schedule. Paul said, "I am sorry the pilot died, but if that is the case, I am glad you crashed."

Back at the gate, the minutes ticked down to the time when Steph would have to board her flight. She had already checked, and no seats were available on the same flight as Paul. They sat without speaking, just looking at each other after the call to board her flight. Paul had been holding her hand for the last half hour.

Steph could not believe she was falling so hard for a man she just met. She wondered if what she was feeling was some mental or emotional response to her survival. But, deep down, she knew the feeling was real. She had never felt so strongly about anyone. The look in Paul's eyes told her he felt the same way.

Finally, Paul stood and led Steph to the gate, only letting go of her hand as she gave the ticket agent her boarding pass. As Steph started down the jetway, several tears fell before she could fish a tissue out of her purse. She wished that they had kissed. At the end of the jetway, she looked back, and Paul was standing there, moving side to side, trying to keep sight of her as other passengers filled the jetway.

She stopped, leaned against the back wall, and waved. Paul waved, then awkwardly tried to blow her a kiss. Steph laughed as Paul accidentally hit the man beside him with his elbow. Steph smiled at Paul, then was caught in the rush of people entering the plane.

Steph found her seat and sat next to an older woman who was a real talker. Before the crash, Steph would have insisted the Flight Attendant find her another seat, but now Steph found herself enjoying the conversation with this woman. They talked and laughed the entire flight.

After they landed, Steph thanked the older woman for making the flight so enjoyable. The older woman asked Steph if she could give her some advice. Steph agreed, and the woman told Steph if it were her, she'd not let that young man get away. Steph was surprised and asked how the woman knew about Paul. The older woman said that all Steph had talked about was this amazing man she had spent time with before the flight.

Steph said she did not realize she had talked that much about Paul. The older woman winked, patted Steph's arm, and said, "Only every other word. This doesn't happen very often; don't let him slip away, or you will regret it."

Once off the plane, Steph checked her phone, and there was a text from Paul saying how much he enjoyed their time together. As Steph walked towards the gate where her connecting flight to New York would board, she passed the plate glass windows separating the concourse from where people waited to greet arriving passengers.

Steph noticed a handmade sign that read, "Welcome Home, Paul." Steph also recognized the young woman holding the sign. It was Suz and what looked like ten or twelve others of what had to be Paul's family.

An older man stood behind where Suz and the others were seated. The man looked like an older version of Paul. It had to be Earl, Paul's father. Paul had mentioned his father in their conversation earlier. His father had worked as a brick mason all his life.

What had to be Paul's two brothers were standing on either side of their father. The women were all seated, and several small children were in chairs and on the floor. It looked to Steph like Earl and his two sons were standing guard over the rest.

As a young woman growing up in the City, whenever she went out, she always had an escort - a man paid by her father to watch her. She always felt like she was being watched, not being watched over. Earl was watching over his family. Not because they were weak and needed his protection, but because they were what was the most important to him. Steph thought how wonderful it would be to have someone care that much.