Twenty-one

[A/N]: this is a rewritten OneShot titled 'Wings', but it'll be part of the plot for this book. If you read it before, you can skip to the 22nd chapter

.

.

.

Lunarians were always famous for their wings. Pitch-black, monstrous, heavy wings could call winds so strong to shake the mountain ranges, like songs and legends sung long before the Void Century.

It's been more than twenty years since her left wing broke.

Now, as she walks at the top of the Red Line, it only brushes the soil and the dry, fleshless bones of her ancestors.

The day she lost it was the same when the Government took Alber, who she hasn't seen ever since.

"We shouldn't go there! The Sky Islands are far away," she laughed at him, the two of them flying down the crimson rocks.

"I want to show you the blue sea, Lumen! Like you've never seen before."

The last Lunarians, her and him. Both of them were born with dark skin and pearl-white hair.

He had a tattoo on his face, she had one on her neck, running down to her chest.

Alber was always silent, a fearsome warrior when it came to battle.

Only she has seen his softer side, warm and bright like his smile so rare to be seen.

"It's so different now, so close," she smiled, leaning down to run her fingers through the water.

The boy floated next to her and took her hand gently.

She saw his white hair blown by the mild wind of his wings.

The sundown's rays gleam on the waves of the ocean, then reflect in his dark eyes. The most beautiful person and soul she has ever met.

He smiled back at her, and Lumen knew he was about to say something precious and strange.

She accidentally kicks a skull away and shivers, biting her lower lip.

But she continues her way until she finds the cliff where the two of them sat every day.

As the Lunarian takes place, her eyes find the sky, the horizon, and then the endless sea where it happened. Her fists clench at the memories.

"You're like the Sun, Lumen, and I can be the Moon, reflecting your light," he said, leaning closer to her.

"How long did it take to figure this out?" she whispered with a chuckle and took his other hand too, flying above him. He was the first to laugh as always.

"Do you believe in destiny, Alber?"

"I don't," he answered, letting go of her hand to descend to the level of the sea again.

He was walking on the surface with soft and slow wafts of his black wings, feet starting wee waves on the water.

She was always amazed how gently, how perfectly he could use them.

"I only believe in us."

She watches the distant sea without a word. Now, that silly metaphor feels painfully like reality. Sun and the Moon are in the same sky but never together.

She has tried to reach the blue sea many times since they took him away, but she couldn't do it.

She hates yourself for being too weak.