Seventeen

King takes a deep breath, and you feel his arms running under your thighs.

He pulls you over his lap and moves forward a little so you can lock your legs around his torso.

The Lunarian shivers as you huddle yourself up by his chest.

He grimaces slightly but reaches out under your wings, resting his chin above your shoulder to see Yamato.

Alber cuddles your waist with his left arm and runs his right hand under your shirt after he feels your tears on his skin.

He strokes your back slowly and steadily, following the line of your spine to calm you down.

"Why is she crying?" asks Yamato confusedly.

"Beats me," sighs King, his fingers resting on your hair for a few seconds before continuing their way. "She's a woman. Her reasons are above my comprehension."

You hit his chest as an answer, and the man smiles, leaving a gentle kiss on your head. You stop trembling.

"You've gone soft, Uncle King," laughs Yamato.

"Watch your mouth, little one," groans Alber angrily, but he keeps caressing you.

"It suits you," smirks the child. She enjoys the privilege she has since the Lunarian wouldn't hurt her. "I wish you were like that with everyone."

"If I was, wouldn't it lose its value?" asks back King.

"It shouldn't," pouts the child. "But I know you're trying hard. You got this!"

The Lunarian rolls his red eyes as Yamato gives him a thumbs up.

"Do you want to talk about why you came here today?" he looks at the kid. She blushes slightly and shakes her head. "It's okay. But this is a safe place. For both of you."

"Softy," you say at the exact same moment as Yamato.

And the man hits both of you on the head, so you whine with one voice.

Alber shakes his head anxiously, but you see the smile at the corner of his lips.

He reaches out for Yamato, and she climbs over his palm, so the man can pick her up.

The child jumps to his shoulder and sits over it, holding onto the braid of white hair.

King supports her with one hand and holds you with the other as he stands up to walk back to the bedroom.

He kneels above his bed, carefully carrying you with himself, and places you in the middle.

He catches Yamato by pinching her shirt, then puts her in your embrace.

You hug the little girl to stop her never-ending, excited squirming.

Alber walks to the middle of the room and flies up, choosing one of his books from the lower shelves before returning. He easily lifts you again to hug both of you.

He lights up a little fire over his palm and leans forward, whispering something to it that you can't hear.

"I want you to hold this for me, Yamato," he says after moving it towards the child, who happily reaches for the flames. You smile as you understand how deeply she trusts the man, as his fire moves over her skin. "You'll have the light so I can read."

The little girl nods gratefully, the dancing flames reflecting in her eyes.

You stroke her hair gently, but you stop when King opens the bright green book.

You turn your head and rub your cheek against his chest as he starts to read a tale to Yamato.

You listen to his heartbeat while he talks, so you don't remember the whole story as she slowly falls asleep.