Ten

You yawn and move a little on the blanket King gave you.

It has been quite a long time since you arrived in Wano. For you, it feels like an eternity.

The Lunarian keeps his distance from you in a way, but he got used to you being around.

He taught you how to read and treats your wings every day, and you are grateful for it.

Even though, you can't forget that he's the only one who is in the way of your freedom.

You rub your eyes but freeze a second after as you see the scene.

King is sitting on his bed, playing with Yamato.

You haven't seen the child since you first met her, and now, you don't dare to move not to destroy their peace.

The cruel man moves his wings slowly to support the little girl who climbs upon them, jumping around with happy chuckling.

It feels unreal.

The Lunarian watches her with a soft smile, tilting his head slightly so the white river can flow to his shoulder.

The usual, dark shadows of his face disappear, and even the forever sadness of his bright eyes fade.

"When will she wake up?" pouts Yamato, tripping over the man's left wing, who catches her in the air just in time, with a slow shake of his head

As he looks at you, you close your eyes quickly and pretend to be asleep.

"Let her sleep, little one," sounds the deep voice. "Am I not enough for you?"

"You are, Uncle King!" laughs the child. "Just she was so nice to me last time. I was really sad you didn't let me meet her again."

"You're here now, aren't you?" sighs Alber. You carefully look at them again, resting your gaze on his features, now so gentle. "I wasn't sure she would stay for a longer time. Don't get attached to her, Yamato."

"Why?" she sniffles. "Not like you'll kill her."

"I will, once there's no use of her anymore," answers King calmly.

And the child rips out a black feather of the Lunarian's wing angrily, making the man shout in surprise.

Your muscles tense, but Alber only takes a deep, long breath.

"One more act like this, and I won't play with you ever again," he states frustratedly. Yamato grimaces and sits down over his palm.

"But you're my only friend here."

"I don't care," scoffs the man, and a faint wrinkle appears between his eyebrows. You still can't believe how he didn't even raise his voice. This child is clearly his only known weakness. "Apologise."

"No!"

"Yamato!"

She makes her cheeks puffy, and you can't help but smile secretly as you see King imitating her expression. It doesn't suit the Lunarian's flawless features at all.

And Yamato stomps in defeat, then tries putting back the dark feather to the wing, but it only falls off.

Alber's strict face relax a little, and your heart misses a beat as you see him smiling, with a caring smile he never let you see.

"Better," he says, messing up her hair with the end of his wing, making the child flail with her little arms.

Yamato jumps and catches the white hair of the Lunarian, climbing to his shoulder.

"Will you take me to fly, Uncle King?"

"No," he answers, tenderly supporting her with his hand to keep the child safe. "I told you I only have time until she wakes up. I have something to do before I go on the mission Kaido-san gave me. Today is a special day."