Chapter 26: Happy Reunion

Start from the beginning

"Me and Brendon?" Claire stared blankly at her face, watching her pour honey and some raspberries on her pancakes. "Did he not propose or something to you? You know, to ask you to be his girlfriend or whatever?" Lavender asked, dumbing down her expressions for her to understand.

"Ah! That!" Claire laughed her head off, taking a seat beside her. "And you say I'm the one who's sick." Lavender rolled her eyes, proceeding to eat her breakfast. "We've not quite reached that stage yet, Lav. But I have a feeling that it's going to be soon." She squealed, burying her face in her palms.

"So you're a thing. Got it."

"You could say that too." She giggled. "Aren't you eating?" Lavender asked, pushing her plate to offer some pancakes to Claire. "I already ate. You need this more." She pushed it back to her. "I need to write down my chapters! I'll get to work as soon as I finish this meal." Lavender said with a firm intention.

"And your medicines." Claire placed the tiny canister in front of her. "Yeah, them too. I honestly don't think these are working, though." She replied. "That's how it is. They take time to improve your system. You'll be well soon." She assured her.

"Alright. I'm done." Lavender finished her meal and took her medicines before standing upright. "No one can stop me from finishing my novel." She said firmly, looking out of the window.

"That's my girl!" Claire hyped her up.

"Did you count the money? It's not less, is it?" Bates panicked, asking his assistant John. "I did. For the fifteenth time, yes. It's the same amount." He sighed. "I just need to give this to Juggy and I can take Renee back home." Bates sighed. "I just hope he didn't do anything to her."

"She'll be alright." John replied. Bates and John were on their way to Juggy's place to hand him the money he owed. He obviously had his men with him, but he clearly knew that only he would be allowed to go in to get Renee, his daughter, back. "God, what would I say if he asked me where'd I get the money from?" He panicked. "Just tell him you arranged it somehow." John replied.

"I'm afraid he'll know that I borrowed it from.." Bates trailed off as his phone vibrated in the pocket of his pants. "Tristen." He received the call from the same person he was talking about. "Bates? Where are you?" Tristen asked.

"In my car, on the way to Juggy's." Bates replied. "Alright, call me when you get your daughter back." He said, ready to hang up. "No, wait!" Bates yelled. "What is it?" He asked.

"What will I tell Juggy if he asks here I got the money?"

"Make something up, but do not, Bates, DO NOT tell him you got it from me. I will not let you live your life peacefully if something happens to Lavender. He has given me the benefit of doubt and I'm constantly switching places between work and Lavender's place."

"I get it. I will not let him know anything about it." Bates nodded, hanging up on the call. "What'd he say?" John asked. "Lavender is in danger. He said he'd make my life difficult if something happens to her." He explained. "But boss, I thought you liked Lavender, too." John pointed out. "I know..." Bates sighed heavily, looking out of his window as his driver drove the car. The sky looked grey. Unlike a winter sky, it was looking like it would rain. The sun was hidden behind the dark clouds that would roar any moment to show their crackling anger.

"I like Lavender, but Renee is my everything. I cannot be so selfish to let my daughter be sold and sent off to some Russian brothel just because I want to find love again. I can find someone else to love, but not another daughter to look after." He said. "Does that mean you're giving up on pursuing Lavender?" John asked. "Yes. I made many efforts, too. But it only accelerated the growing hatred between us. Especially after Tristen was involved." He sighed. "I'm thinking that I'd step down and keep it low after cleaning this mess, focusing more on my writing than my businesses now. Renee is growing up, and I do not want her to be influenced by me as some mafia, but rather as someone who is worthy of being their child's role model."