Chapter 15: Shush!

"It was such a lovely day with you, Tristen. I can't get tired of constantly wishing you a happy birthday." Lavender said, as they walked slowly. She slung her left arm romantically into his while she held out her right hand up at the sky to look at the lovely ring again.

"And I'd never get tiring of listening." Tristen smiled, suddenly holding her cold hand with his warm one. He intertwined their fingers, making Lavender blush. It was already a dark hour in the night, and the lovely couple decided to take a lonely walk in the streets. It looked like it had been drizzling while they were away. Tristen had parked his car in front of Lavender's house before they decided to go on a stroll. Now, they were on their way back.

"I'm still mad at myself for not knowing it earlier. I don't understand, why don't you like birthdays?" She asked.

"It's not that I don't like them. I just don't consider them that special." He replied, shoving their hands in the pocket of his long coat. "Did you never celebrate them?" She asked, trying to be careful with her words. She didn't want to instigate a buried past trauma and ruin the beautiful moment between them. "Kind of. Can't tell about other people like me, but I never celebrated a proper birthday. So I do not know what people do on such occasions." He replied, without any hint of some childhood trauma in his answer.

"May I ask why?"

"Well, we were pretty busy in the business. My dad, specially. Everyone used to be in the house for a moment, and gone the next. I'd say life was rather busy than hard."

"Oh." She mumbled silently. "It's too late to organize a party now?" Lavender asked, squeezing her eyes in hope. They both stopped walking, reaching the entrance of her house. Tristen looked at her in awe and placed his palm on her head.

"Yeah." He smiled, kissing her head.

"I feel so bad. I don't even have a gift for you."

"I told you before, you're my gift. Can I open you now?"

"Shut up!" She giggled, turning the doorknob to her house.

"Ay, ay! Look who's here!" Brendon yelled, standing in the dark corridor. The entire house had its lights turned off. "Brendon?" Lavender gasped in disbelief. "What're you doing at my parents' house?"

"I hoped to feel a little more welcome, but that's not important." He shrugged. "What's going on?" Tristen asked when Brendon turned on the lights.

"Happy birthday!" Everyone, yelled in unison.

To their surprise, the house was fancily decorated with all the birthday decorations and confetti was being sprayed from the ceiling. "It's good we didn't kiss outside." Tristen mumbled in Lavender's ear, making her cover her face in giggles. "This is so amazing. I can't believe you all were in on it." Lavender said. "It wasn't until Brendon came this evening and told us about Tristen's birthday." Her mom shrugged.

"Yeah, we worked so hard to get it done before you guys came." Jim laughed, making everyone turn their heads at him. "You're still here?" Lavender's dad asked. Jim had a fake smile plastered on his face which was in a freeze frame. "Oh come on, dad. He's the only manager I've got. Be nice to him." Lavender scoffed, causing Jim to tear up.

"I knew she cared for me." He sobbed.

"Come in, you both. We have prepared a delightful supper." Brendon scoffed, as everyone made way towards the living room. "Delightful supper." Jim mimicked his words sarcastically.

Lavender grabbed Brendon's arm and pulled him aside. "How the hell did you convince my mum and dad to take part in all of this?" She whispered intensely. "See, I'm not just known as Tristen's assistant for nothing. Trust me, I've handled worse. To convince them for a party is a child's play." He proudly shrugged.