Chapter 09: You?

Tristen's frown disappeared as he watched Lavender and then Bates; switching his gaze between their faces repeatedly. "You know each other?" He asked, watching her rush downstairs. "He works at my company! I mean, he's a writer!" Lavender exclaimed, pointing her finger at Bates. "Is this whom you had your deal with?" She stood right in front of Bates fearlessly.

She knew that man could not do anything to her.

"Yes, indeed." Tristen said, gaining a little more confidence in her actions. "Really? This is who you are, Bates?" Lavender shook her head in disbelief. Bates was a tall, tall man; humongous would be a better word, as slim as a twig. He had rectangular frameless glasses and sharp eyes with a sharp jaw. He looked very young and fierce, despite he was 30. He had black hair along with a hat.

He was good looking, too. But all of his good qualities went right down the drain after Lavender discovered the truth. Two shocking truths, in one day. It was a miracle that she had her sanity intact even after finding that the world around her was not what she had thought it to be.

"What are you doing here, Lavender?" Bates asked with a confused look. "I can't believe you're asking me this, when you are the one to leak our pictures! I heard everything, Bates. EVERYTHING!" Lavender argued fearlessly, stepping forward to stand neck to neck with Bates. Tristen shook his head, finding it unbelievable for a woman like Lavender to have such guts.

The man was carrying a loaded gun in his pocket, and Lavender was showing him a pocket knife. "I didn't know it was you!" Bates argued back. "Lies. I used to doubt that you envied me from the start. I was right." Lavender scoffed.

"We have nothing like that between us Lavender and you know it. We are very good company friends, and this is something that these guys don't know. I think you've lost your mind being with a man like him." Bates pointed at Tristen.

"Don't you dare point fingers at others!" She snapped in a growling voice. For a moment, Tristen felt a shudder in his spine.

"Just stay away from this business, Lavender. You're better off in your clumsy world of romantics." Bates mocked. "See, there's your envy. And business? Jim forced me into writing another novel because of you, and this is what you do instead of finishing that goddamn fantasy goblin book?"

"That's not my problem. It's yours."

"Write something up!"

"Don't tell me what to do!"

"I think they go way back than us in hatred..." Brendon muttered in Tristen's ear. He looked at Tristen to find him smiling. "You're smiling?" Brendon whispered in confusion.

"I had always wanted myself a fearless wife who could tackle problems in my absence. I found her." Tristen smiled, making Brendon push his tongue out in disgust.

"I swear to god, Bates, if this is who you are, I don't want to talk to you a minute longer. In fact, I do not even know you this day onwards." Lavender pointed her finger at Bates. "You're no less than a culprit here. Don't you hang out with this punk?" Bates snapped, pointing a finger at Tristen.

"I told you to stop pointing fingers at him!" Lavender snapped back, yanking his hand away. "I will deal with you later, Lavender." He said, glaring at Tristen who stood there calmly.

Bates knew the reason for his calmness. All that was needed to trigger him was for someone to lay a finger on his love, and in no less than a second would a bullet be shot from the revolver that Tristen was hiding under his crossed arms.

"I really know why you keep your anonymity now, Bates." Lavender shook her head from side to side in disappointment. "You better not meddle in my business, Lavender. We are company friends, let it stay like that." Bates warned. "Don't teach me what I should do." She replied. "You know it'd be foolish to go to the police. Don't forget I know everything about you." He threatened.