Subaru: "Yes."

Subaru looked down. Unable to look at her face. What kind of expression was she making? Subaru didn't want to know.

Subaru: "I know to you, this all seems crazy. But it's the truth."

Emilia: "But why? If what you say is the truth, why would you save me? Why would you risk dying over and over again?"

She couldn't imagine it. All her life, she had been hated by the world because of her resemblance to the Witch of Envy. But here was a boy who claimed he had died multiple times just to save her, and for what possible reason?

Subaru: "It's simple. Because you saved me."

Emilia: "Huh?"

Emilia had been called all sorts of things: a Half Devil, Witch, a being whose very existence was a threat to the entire world. However, here, for the first time, someone other than her beloved father wanted to save her.

Subaru: "I was all alone. I had no idea where I was. A group of thugs attempted to mug me in an alley, but then you showed up."

While Subaru recalled his first meeting with Emilia, his face softened. It was a memory that brought him great comfort.

Subaru: "Even though your insignia was stolen, you still stopped to help me, a random stranger. Most people wouldn't do that. I also doubt they would have stayed with them after they became unconscious to see if they were alright."

The more Subaru spoke of their meeting, the more his sadness and fear from earlier disappeared.

Subaru: "Even when you came across a crying child, you still couldn't turn away. You had to help her find her parents."

Emilia was shocked. She had helped a lost child find her parents. However, it took a lot of work to get the child to not be afraid of her appearance. It seems Subaru had also encountered this crying child alongside her during their first meeting.

Subaru: "It was a day I'll never forget. I'll cherish it for the rest of my life... And the one after this one."

He briefly alludes to the fact that he may not survive for very long, which sends a shiver down Emilia's spine. She doesn't want Subaru to die.

Subaru: "How could I let someone like that die when I have the power to stop it? I may be weak, but that doesn't mean I could just let it happen. I couldn't let the only person who was kind to me, who held out their hand when no one else would, die."

There was a strength in his eyes that wasn't there before. A passion that burned so bright, it could blind those who gazed upon it.

Subaru: "Even then, how could I leave Felt and Old Man Rom to die?"

Emilia was surprised when he said those names. He also wanted to save those two from the clutches of the Bowel Hunter. Most people would disregard them as worthless dregs that society couldn't care less about, but Subaru still wanted to save them.

Subaru: "Sure, they aren't the most respectable people in the world, but everyone makes mistakes. It's not fair that they should die before accomplishing their dream."

Emilia: "Their dream?"

She didn't know that Felt and Old Man Rom had something they were working towards. Just how close did Subaru get with them in one of his loops?

Subaru: "They're trying to raise enough money to move out of the slums. It's not the most elegant dream, but it's something to work towards. How am I gonna let someone cut their lives short before they've accomplished that?"