Chapter 47: Succession

Start from the beginning

"Heh," Cole leans on his fist "of course she deserves it."

Later that week Reika and Aria departed for the palace early morning. Once arriving Reika was taken into a room to wait while they changed Aria's attire. After what seemed like hours the door finally opened back up.

"Hey," Reika looks at the blonde guard looking annoyed "It's been hours, where is she?"

"Princess Aria is waiting for you now," the guard smiles "Follow me."

"About time," Reika jumps up and follows the guard

"I'm not just some guard you know," the guard smiles at her "I'm Hanabusa, I use to be her highness's personal guard.. until she left that is."

"I see," Reika replies, not knowing how to feel.

She looks up to see Aria standing in the hall, waiting.

"Oh wow!" Reika rushes up to her "You look so cute."

"Cute?" Aria tilts her head "Not mommy."

"No this is definitely giving little princess vibes." Reika says

Aria giggles "for once, you are right."

"Princess, your family is waiting," Hanabusa interrupts

"Right.." Aria answered, looking nervous

Reika grabbed Aria's hand and squeezed it tight. She gave her a comforting smile before Aria smiled as well. Hanabusa led the girls to the dining hall, he opened the door and stood to the side as they walked in. At the head of the table sat Layla, on her right was the Emperor, followed by Harumi. On her left was Zero and beside him, a spot set for Aria.

"Zero," Layla spoke "It's rude to read at the dinner table

"Zero," Layla spoke "It's rude to read at the dinner table."

"Yes mother," Zero responded as he shut his book "forgive me, it seems I've forgotten the rules in my time away."

Zero glances at his mother who in response gives him an icy glare.

"Brother," Aria smiles as she approaches "welcome home."

"Well look at you," Zero stood up as she grew closer "it seems you have gotten much older since I last saw you." he took her hand "I told you you'd become a beauty."

"Thank you brother," Aria replies happily

Zero lets go of her hand and turns his attention towards Reika.

"Who is this you've brought with you?" Zero replies

"I'm her wife," Reika replies

The Emperor chokes on his drink, Harumi looks confused, and Layla glares up at the children.

"She's joking," Aria puts her hand in front of Reika's face, looking embarrassed "This is Reika, she's here as a representative of Master Wu."

"Nice to meet you," Zero held his hand out to her

"Nice to meet you too," Reika took his hand

Zero mutters to her "You'll never be allowed to have my little sister."

"Guess I'll have to work overtime," Reika mutters back

The two smile to each other as Aria had a bad feeling.

"Alright," Layla waves off the servants "Sit.. we have much to discus."

Zero and Aria look at each other and nod, Reika looks between the two of them confused. The royal siblings take a seat as Reika stood behind Aria's seat. Looking around, Reika noticed all the servants and guards all quickly and quietly leaving.

"So," Layla placed down her fork and folded her hands "now that Zero is back, you all know what I want to talk about.."

Harumi looked over at Zero and Aria who glared at her in return.

"The line of succession," Layla finished, glancing over at the two sides "Naturally, it should fall to Zero, my eldest. But he's been in training to be the captain of the guards."

"I'm ok with that," Zero chimed in before looking spitefully at Harumi "then technically in succession it goes to blood first."

"But I'm the second oldest," Harumi argues "If we go by age."

"You're not truly blood here though," Aria tells her "therefor by royal blood I am next in line."

"I've been preparing to take over since I've been here though," Harumi says, looking hurt "Aria my sister you love being a ninja."

"You're not our sister," Zero crosses his arms

"Why you-"

"Enough bickering," Layla interrupts "all of you, are my children."

Zero and Aria looked annoyed as Harumi smiles.

"Law also states an Empress cannot rule without being married." Richard, the Emperor, speaks up for once "It is why me and your mother married."

"Precisely," Layla nods "Girls, if you so wish to be next in line I suggest you find yourself an engagement first. A respectful one too, he must be someone useful to this empire. On top of that you must show you are fit to rule my kingdom, but don't think you'd be given something easy. You better prepare."

"But mother," Zero said, looking upset "Aria hasn't been given the same opportunities as Harumi, that's unfair."

"Not my problem," Layla replies looking at the two of them "you wanted this fight, now deal with it." she stood up "dismissed, all of you. Get out of my face."

The children all stood up and began walking out of the dining hall, with Reika following after them. Once the doors closed Aria and Harumi faced each other.

"What was your argument about us not being sisters?" Harumi asked smugly "It's an equal playing field."

"You know damn well it's not fair," Aria curses

Hanabusa rushed over as Reika grabs his arm, shaking her head to not intervene.

"Just know it's your fault," Harumi tells them "both of you."

"We'll see who comes out on top," Zero replies with a smirk "their's no way a half-wit can compare to us."

Harumi glares at them as Aria and Zero cross their arms. Reika gasps seeing Aria AND Zero's eyes glow purple.

"May the best princess win," Harumi says before walking away

Hanabusa bows to Aria and Zero before running after Harumi.

"I'm fucked," Aria says once Harumi was out of ear-shot

"Not entirely," Zero replies with a smile "I got an idea."

Reika looks between the two confused "Um, what's the plan?"