Chapter 16

I love your eldest sister the most

However, The Third Madam possessed a profound knowledge of herbal medicine, making it a daunting task to slip a sedative past her watchful eyes. As Chu Yu pondered a solution, she strolled towards the front yard.

Subconsciously, Chu Yu's gaze swept over the garden and noted the maid's absence.

Pressing forward unhindered, she soon arrived at the front yard, where a familiar figure caught her eye.

"Why, Third Miss, what brings you here? Is there something you require?" It was the maid who had carried her into the main hall during her previous visit to the front yard.

"I am here to find my father," Chu Yu replied calmly. After all, there were no regulations barring her from visiting her own father.

The maid instinctively glanced behind Chu Yu and hesitated for a moment before inquiring, "Is everything well with Third Madam?"

"Fear not, this time my mother specifically requested my presence," Chu Yu responded, her smile tinged with a hint of embarrassment. She expressed gratitude to the maid with a grateful gesture and said, "Your father is presently engrossed in official matters within the study. Allow me to guide you there, Third Miss."

Chu Yu nodded and followed the maid. They swiftly arrived at the study, where the maid instructed Chu Yu to wait outside while she announced her arrival.

Casually surveying her surroundings, Chu Yu's eyes soon landed on a grand tree. It bore a resemblance to the trees in the Qinglan Courtyard, yet it remained bereft of blossoms, instead bearing green fruits.

At a single glance, memories of the large strawberries her father had bestowed upon her came flooding back. They were vividly imprinted in her mind.

She gazed upwards, her vision now acute. Alas, the tree towered too high, and she could only discern the indistinct top. There appeared to be a fruit, faintly reddish in hue, reminiscent of those large strawberries. Yet, her certainty wavered.

Could it truly be?

Chu Yu silently contemplated. If indeed it was a large strawberry, the fruit her father had gifted her two months ago ought to remain immature.

In that moment, the maid emerged, a smile adorning her face. "Third Miss, Master is extending an invitation for you to join him."

Chu Yu expressed her gratitude, to which the maid replied, "It is my duty."

The maid politely smiled and led the way.

...

Chu Yu pushed open the door and stepped inside. Her father sat upright, holding a brush and meticulously inscribing strokes on a sheet of white paper. As she drew closer and stole a glance, Chu Yu was left dumbfounded.

What manner of peculiar symbols were these?

Upon closer examination, she could discern individual strokes and radicals, but they intersected haphazardly, some thick, others thin, lending an air of disorder.

Nevertheless, her father wrote with utmost seriousness, stroke by stroke, his countenance solemn.

Chu Yu became infected by his seriousness, subduing her own presence as she silently observed those symbols. The more she looked, the more she found them strangely beautiful, capturing her imagination.

Furrowing her brow, she continued to scrutinize the structure of the strokes.

In her past life, she had encountered countless diverse fonts. Some boasted uniform thickness in both horizontal and vertical strokes, while others featured wider horizontal strokes juxtaposed with slender vertical strokes, or vice versa. Most of those fonts, however, remained identifiable.