𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃𝚈-𝚂𝙸𝚇(𝙰)

Start from the beginning

"Exchanging words with you is merely a waste of time." She huffed, flipping her braids over her shoulder and then, she walked past me, brushing her shoulder against me in an abrasive manner. I didn't flinch.

Instead, I started descending the stairs as slowly as I could and I knew she wasn't completely gone too. My lips twitched in a smirk.

"You should frown less. I could have sworn I saw some wrinkles on your face." My voice rose a notch but was a tad bit calm in a way. It didn't give off any hint of anger, instead, it was doused with heavy sassiness and mockery.

"Bitch!" Her loud voice echoed after me. I rolled my eyes, clutching my books to my chest and making my way out of the building.

You would think that being an exam week, there was bound to be a spark of seriousness in Blue Cove students but pfff, they were more unserious than ever. 

At a glance, judging by the long-sleeved shirts, you could tell they were seniors mostly, hanging around any spot they could stuff themselves in with only one thing on their lips. The Cove Christmas Dance. Apparently, it was an exclusive event for Cove finals, they held it in different forms every year but this year's just happened to be a dance.

I wasn't really that current with the details. But of course, Zee was and I knew how badly she would freak out if I told her I didn't even remember much from what she told me. So, I'll just keep it to myself and pretend that I am all in. It was safer that way. As long as I don't wake up bald one morning.

The only reason they could pull off this much rowdiness was that we were done with our last paper for the day. A frown descended on my face as my thoughts wandered to what the questions were like but then, I was quick to divert because they left me traumatised.

For once, my ringtone didn't sound so irritating. I couldn't help but heave a sigh of relief for the distraction it provided. I adjusted my books in my other hand and reached for it in the pocket of the sweater I was wearing over my shirt.

The Caller ID had me rolling my eyes but I couldn't suppress the smile that was tugging at my lips. 

"With the way you are calling me, other people will think I am your girlfriend." I chortled, the minute I picked up the call, eliciting a breathy laughter from him. I resumed walking.

"So, I can't check up on my baby sister anymore?" He tried to feign annoyance but the amusement that dripped off each word sold him out.

"Khalil, you called yesterday and the day before!" I cried out, chuckling.

"Wait, shey you don't have classes ni?" I groaned.

"Even if I do, it wouldn't hurt to take five minutes to do regular check-ins during my free time." He countered me subtly and I exhaled, digging my fingers into the afro puff gathered at the back of my head.

"Lekan, I am fine. You don't have to worry about me. I understand that you are worried about me but I am fine. I promise you." I told him, in a bid to ease his worries.

"I didn't say you___"

"Really? You want to play that game now?" I snorted.

"Fine. I was worried about you but then, you sound fine, so I guess there's nothing to worry about." He responded.

"So, you can stop calling me every second." I joked.