Chapter 50: Blue

Începe de la început

But right now, it's not right. I can't be. She must be wrong. I shook my head to clear my thoughts and looked up to see my friend's concerned expression. "Are you okay?" she asked. I forced a smile and nodded, tucking the shoes back into my bag. "Yeah, just thinking about the future," I replied. "It's scary, you know?" Ruby nodded sympathetically.

"Annika, are you sure you're not? It's just that the old woman seemed confident." Ruby's nervousness was evident in her tone. I shrugged, unsure of how to respond. "I can't be Ruby. It's just hard to believe." I paused, thinking about the woman's words. Ruby placed a hand on my shoulder and said, "I know."

The busy market seemed to fade away as we walked back to the SUV.

***

The kitchen smelled like apples and cinnamon. I took a deep breath and tried to shake off the strange feeling that had settled in my chest. I placed the cookies in the oven and leant against the counter. The old woman's words had stayed with me, nagging at the back of my mind.

"It smells so nice in here." Ruby walked in, making me smile. "Thank you."

I took my apron off and placed it on the counter, fixing my summer dress. When I heard a loud bang, I was shocked and turned around in confusion. I entered the main hall, Matteo's men burst through the front doors, hurriedly closing it.

"What's going on?" I question. My heart is beating at a fast pace as I notice the guns in their hands. "We need to leave NOW!" I jumped at his tone.

The man grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the back exit. "What's happening?" I asked again, trying to keep up with his pace. "It's a raid," he replied, his eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger.

"Wait. I need to get something."

"Annika, now is not the time." Ruby yelled, her voice trembling with fear. "We need to go. Now!" I hesitated for a moment, torn between my instincts to grab my phone and the urgency of the situation. But the man's grip on my arm tightened, pulling me towards the kitchen. I grabbed my bag of the kitchen counter. "Keep your heads down," the man warned.

The gunshots could be heard throughout the estate , echoing off the walls and sending shivers down my spine. I followed the man's lead, crouching behind the counter as he reached for a drawer and pulled out a gun. My heart was pounding in my chest as I watched him load the weapon with practised ease.

"We tried to contact the boss, but they placed a signal interceptor. Until we leave this mansion, there is no way to get in touch with him." Matteo doesn't know we're here in this situation, I thought to myself, feeling a wave of panic wash over me. The man besides me seemed calm and collected, but I could see the tension in his muscles as he waited for the next move.

"The men at the front are trying to hold them off. But we don't have time." Suddenly, there was a loud crash from the other side of the room, and we both spun around to see a group of armed men bursting through the door. "RUN NOW. I WILL HOLD THEM OFF!" Without hesitation, the man besides me raised his gun and fired, and I watched in horror as one of the attackers fell.

Me and Ruby ran to the back door as fast as we could, trying to avoid the chaos that was erupting around us. The sound of gunshots echoed in my ears as we made our way through the maze-like corridors of the building. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. As we approached the door, I fumbled with the lock, my mind racing with thoughts of what would happen if we didn't make it out in time. Finally, the lock clicked open, and we burst out into the fresh air, gasping for breath.

We didn't stop running until we were a safe distance away from the estate. The old Roman buildings stood tall as we pressed against them. Then I heard an explosion, and the night air filled with smoke and debris. My heart leapt into my throat as I realised that we were still in danger. We looked back at the estate and saw flames licking at the windows. It was then that I knew that we had narrowly escaped.

At that moment, it all hit me, and I cried out in relief and fear. The adrenaline that had been coursing through my veins began to dissipate, and my legs felt like jelly. I leant against the ancient stone wall and took deep breaths, trying to calm myself down.

Matteo. The anxiety set in as I frantically searched through my bag, but it was nowhere to be found. I had left it behind in the chaos of our escape. My mind raced as I tried to think of a solution.

I looked over at Ruby, who was also catching her breath. Her face was pale with shock, and I could tell she was thinking the same thing I was: how were we going to get out of here without a phone? We had no way of contacting anyone, and we were completely alone in a foreign country. We were lost.

I couldn't breath. We had to come up with a plan quickly. I racked my brain, trying to remember the directions to the nearest embassy or consulate. But without a phone or map, I had no idea where to start. Ruby spoke up, her voice shaky but determined. "We have to find someone who can help us," she said.