Chapter 5: Mercy

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

Annika don't freak out.

I simply want to sprint back into my little attic and read endlessly.

I fiddle with my fingers in order to keep myself calm and composed in front of him. My eye's link to his caramel Brown murky eyes that are always filled with power and the unknown. It felt like hours we were observing each other before my uncle spoke up.

"King please don't mind my niece, she has no manners," he emphasised the word niece, hatred heavy in his tone. The dominant stranger just smirked and I regarded my eyes looking down.

Stupid Annika.

"Please king, come this way. We will discuss everything at dinner," my uncle gives me a nasty glare before escorting the dangerous man into the dining room. My auntie and cousin were practically drooling at the sight of him. They didn't even acknowledge the guy behind.

My heart was beating rapidly and I was gradually losing control.

Breath Annika.

Plastering a smile, I walk up to him. "Hi, I'm Annika and you are?" I bring my hand forward for him to shake and he smiles, taking it.

"I'm Diego, nice to meet you" Diego still looks scary but his features are softer compared to the other Intimidating guy.

We walked into the dining room talking and for the first time in a while, I was smiling a genuine smile. King stares at Diego and he quickly shifts. I make my way to the other side of the table so I was opposite king.

Annika, you could have chosen any other seat why this one.

Not making any eye contact with anyone, I just look down at the food which I don't touch since I refuse to eat with such selfish and self-centred people. Feeling the burning gaze of King, chills run down my body.

"So would you accept my offer," The fork in my hand tightens, holding back the urge to cry. Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. A wise person thinks of others, helping them as much as they can and the result is happiness. Love and compassion are beneficial for everyone. Through kindness to others, your mind and heart will open to peace. That's why no matter how horribly people treat me I will always continue smiling with an open heart.

My father said there were two kinds of people in the world; givers and takers. The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.

I wish my dad were alive so I can ask him for advice on what to do. Life is so hard and confusing and I have no one to talk to. I miss my dad so much. I truly wish there were visiting hours in heaven so I could talk to him and hug him just one more time. A few tears escape my eyes thinking about my father and I quickly wipe them away.