Chapter 32: Conclusion

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

Matteo shoved Ace, causing him to fall back, and I immediately moved in between them. "Matteo, that's enough." As I tried to calm him and myself, my heart was hammering against my ribs. I pushed against his chest to move him back and he gave me a piercing glare. He shoved me aside, his punch swinging like a baseball bat at Ace and another fist slamming into his ribs, forcing him to slump over. Blood was oozing from the corner of his broken lip as he fell on his back.

"STOP PLEASE!" I cry, my hand covering my lips as tears well up in my eyes. As he gripped Ace by the collar, Matteo's fist came to a halt halfway up. I can't tolerate him like this, he's overreacting. This was too much for me to handle. I grabbed my handbag and walked out the door without looking back.

How could I simply disregard that aspect of him, how could I simply pretend that he is a nice guy? I'm kicking myself for falling for him because this is going to hurt a lot more than it needs to. Why did I fall in love with him?

A hand clamped around my wrist "Get in the car," he said, his voice authoritative and threatening, but I'm not going to be controlled by him. I tried to pry my wrist free from his grip, but it was useless. "Let go," I challenge him, but he refuses to let go, instead, tightening his hold.

"Don't anger me any further and get in the car," I shake my head in disbelief, astonished by his heartless behaviour.

"Do you have any idea what you've done? You almost killed an innocent person, for what?" He steps forward and his muscles grew tense.

"Do you think I care? He was hitting on you, and all you did was stand there and give him your number?" irritation surges inside me.

"This is your issue, Matteo; you leap to a conclusion. Did you ever think why I may be giving him my phone number?" My gaze never left his as we both became enraged. Finally taking my wrist out of his tight grip, I pull it into my chest.

"Are you seeking attention?" I don't know what went through my head because I slapped him in a split second. As I gazed at him with disgust, my heart was racing.

"You're a cruel person who's blinded. The only person who should be labelled as a whore is you, who sleeps with different women every night. Don't ever approach or speak to me again." Tears pour down my face. I remove my necklace and lay it in his palm as I begin walking away, not looking back. How could he be so cruel? How could he have treated me in such a disgusting manner?

His remarks were direct and to the point. In his eyes, I'm a whore for chatting to a man who only needed my phone number to assist me. I assumed he'd changed. I was under the impression that he cared about me. I want to hate him, but my heart tells me otherwise, and right now all I want is to be alone.

"Annika, wait," Ruby yells as she boards the same cab as me; she hugs me as I cried heartbrokenly.

"Why would he say that?" she brushes my hair.