Chapter 16: Another Love

Annika Remo 

Annika Remo 

I wake up with tears streaming down my face, staring at a plain ceiling. I never wanted to die, but for a little moment, I was prepared to do so. I was willing to give up my life. To return to my parent's house, where they are waiting for me.

Even if you are allergic to strawberries, everyone knows what they taste like. Even when they don't want to, everyone knows how to smile. And I know I was completely prepared to die. This wasn't a pleading for help. I didn't want to be rescued in the first place. I was all set to call it a day. Done.

I was never the type of girl who wanted to die; instead, I always tried to see the bright side, as my mother taught me. It's terrifying. I'm terrified. I'm so lonely. I'm feeling so cold and exposed right now. But I'm well aware that I must stand strong.

When you're on the verge of giving up, you have to be strong. When you just want to run away, you have to fight. It's sometimes all you can do to keep going. However, no matter how awful things are at any given time, nothing lasts forever. Time has to march forwards because it has to. So I will do just that. 

I made a vow to my mum...My mother is a one-of-a-kind individual. She gave me life, educated me, dressed me, battled for me, hugged me, yelled at me, kissed me, but most importantly, she loved me unconditionally. There are not enough words I can say to describe just how important my mother was to me and what a powerful influence she continues to be. 

Looking to my side, I saw Mitchell's sleeping figure holding my hand. I'm not sure what I would do if she weren't in my life. She is my mother, my support, and my everything, and I would not be who I am today if it weren't for her. I owe her a huge debt.

When my mother left, she took a piece of my heart with her. 

When my dad left, he took a piece of my heart with him. 

And Mitchell...I can't bear to lose another loved one because I won't have a heart that would beat anymore, I will be completely broken and alone in this world. Her soothing voice comforted me, "Your awake sweetie, why are you crying." I smile as I take her hand from my cheek and kiss her on the palm.

"It's nothing Mitchell. Don't worry," she frowns at my answer and I start giggling at her expression. 

My hearing aids were damaged at the time, but I could still hear. Mitchell laughs as I touch my ears. "Honey, he got you new ones," she says. Her speech is much clearer now, and I smile. 

"You were out for a week and we were all worried sick about your health. King was yelling at the health workers to do anything so you could wake up," Matteo was concerned about me?

"I've worked here long enough to know that he's never been this enraged; no one could calm him down, and he'd come to see you every morning." My pulse beats quicker as I smile genuinely at the thought that he cared. My imagination is filled with a million possibilities. Maybe he does care, so why did he treat me so badly?