Ch. 28 - Zenon's Rule

Atomu woke up to the rather pleasant noise and smell of something that was set on fire. It didn't come from a fireplace, but a small leaf, smouldering inside of a small glass. Much like burning Metho seeds in Mistwick, Morians of Magna ripped the leaves off from the crowns of the Birching Trees, and lit them on fire, for a moment of relaxation.

Atomu opened his eyes, and sat up, looking around, before spotting Ella, sitting on a swinging chair and smoking her cigar, looking out at the main square. She glanced at Atomu, and opened the blurry window, letting all the smoke out of the apartment. "I found you fainted in the toilet," she spoke. "...and, since the party came to an end at that point, I figured that I had to take responsibility." she smiled. "So I dragged you all the way up here to the third floor. No need to pay for an inn then, lucky you."

"Ah... that's what I wanted to tell you." Atomu shook his head. "I'm not great with alcohol." he put his hand on his forehead.

"Well, I've never seen anyone coughing out blood and crying when throwing up." she chuckled. "Everybody's different though, and I don't really know you, do I?" she asked, putting the cigar back into her mouth.

"Like... you don't know Paladians?"

"I don't know you, Atomu. I thought that back then I was right with all my assumptions," she muttered. Atomu gulped.

"I-I don't think I understand." he shook his head, unsure.

"I lied to you. I usually read everything there is just from one glance into one's eyes. I saw that strange fear in you, combined with curiosity. As if, you were staring into death's eyes herself."

Atomu looked down. "How much... what did you see?"

"Hm?" she looked at him.

"If..." Atomu scratched his head. "Oh, my..."

"BWAHAHAHAHA!" she laughed, pointing at him. "ATE. THAT. UP!!!" she giggled. "I knew it from the beginning, Atomu! You like men, don't you?!"

"WHAT?!" Atomu yelled out and stood up. "Wh- Ghh..." Atomu covered his eyes, then ears. "I thought we were talking about something different entirely!"

"Hahahaha... ha... ha... eh?" she looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"Ah, forget it!" Atomu sat down again, pushing his face into his hands, sighing in relief.

"No, no, tell me." she inched closer. "I can be your advisor..!"

"This really concerns anything but love, Mrs Ella! I can't even imagine a scenario where it w-would." Atomu gazed at the wall, constantly breathing in and out. "...and it's something I'd rather avoid talking about, at least for now."

"Okay fruitcake." she backed out, with the same smirk on her face.

"I don't like men! I mean... I don't know! Why do you care?" Atomu raised his voice. "Why would it matter to you, Mrs Ella?"

Ella put the cigar down next to the burned-out leaf and gazed out the window. "I don't think it's that easy finding people that are shy, but speak a lot anyways, you know? I see the strangest of faces come in and out of Magna. Some rude, some nice, some... neat. Like yours. My point is, I don't connect to anyone there, and if I reveal too much, rumours will spread, like they always do." she put her hands on the windowsill, and Atomu sat on the chair next to hers. "But you didn't seem bothered, did you? I guess I assumed way too quickly." she peeked at him. "Who cares what you are, Atomu? It doesn't change the fact that I'd already trust you way more than a person I've known for years. I can tell from your eyes, and again, sorry for lying, you're someone people can trust." she pointed to his heart. "A good person, eh? I guess, I simply wanted to believe that good people are just as bad as me."