Sunk

Chapter 1:

Xirena POV:

Before today, I was the simplest creature on the planet. I was just a golden blonde haired Greek girl who loved to swim. My only serious problem was that no one seemed to be able to pronounce my name right.

It's Xirena Coventina, it sounds like Z-eye-rina which only a small amount of humans seem to understand.

I didn't really have a care in the world, until today. The day I was cursed.

"Xirena go put your boxes in the truck, I'm starting dinner!" My mom yelled from somewhere in the house.

I groaned and put my tan hands over my face in exhaustion.

"Okay!" I called back, sighing after.

I took a look around my room with a pit in my stomach, knowing that this was the last night I would ever get to sleep in it.

Even cluttered in taped boxes reading CLOTHES or BOOKS, my room still looked the same. My bed dressed in an aqua comforter siding my white study desk and currently empty book shelf.

Yeah I know, I live a simple life here in Athens.

I don't have barely ANY electronics, including kitchen and bath stuff by the way. I'm ALWAYS reading or swimming with my best friend Helaina in the ocean.

"Xirena!" My mom yelled, and was instantly pulled out of my thoughts.

"Coming!" I yelled back, scooping up the remaining boxes in my room, and walking down the stairs, outside.

A bead of sweat pricked at my forehead as I adjusted the boxes, staggering under their weight.

"You can set them right in here." An American man said gesturing with his clipboard to the back of the moving truck.

I nodded gratefully and plopped them down in the big vehicle back with a relieved breath. I wiped the sweat of my head and walked back towards the house.

"Oh miss! Is there anything you need me to come back for in the morning?" The mover asked and I nodded.

"Yes, tomorrow we need you to come back for the bedding, kitchen supplies, and my fish." I reminded him and the man quickly scribbled a note to himself on a post it.

"Thanks miss."

"Your welcome!" I said with a quick wave, walking into my house again.

It was quiet around here, not that it had ever been loud before, but with all our things packed up and out of the house, everything became very real.

We were moving.

It's unbelievable though, really. My mom had a perfectly fine job here in Greece! I had a perfectly normal life, why would she take it all away? And especially now?

I will be 18 in three months, why switch my beautiful life in Athens up for a promotion? Besides I would be moving out in three months anyway to go stay with Helaina's family in Southern Greece when I finally turned 18 to be an archaeologist.

I noticed a family picture left behind of my mom giving me a hug around my shoulders from behind.

It's always just been my mom and I. Apparently when I was born, my father left without a word, leaving my poor mother alone with a newborn baby to raise for herself. I had always admired her for doing such a good job of working as a marine biologist, and supporting me growing up. She made it look so easy.

I picked up the picture frame and walked outside my stone house, kicking my sandals off onto the beach.

It was a beautifully warm summer night here in Athens, the kind that made you realize how lucky you were to live here. The gorgeous white sandy beaches, the small villages that you could literally walk through, the local seafood that ALWAYS tasted fresh...