After staying like that for almost half an hour Ananya stopped crying. She felt so tired, like haven't slept for months. She sat up slowly. Timidly she just said one sentence, her face lowered, "Take me home, please."

That night she returned home but instead of going to her bedroom, she went to the rooftop. Under the black sky, she realized one thing she, Ananya Roy, loved Arjun Singhania and was ready to ask for forgiveness. Now would he forgive or not, she didn't know. Yes he had left her and she has never felt devasted more than this but there was a different kind of lightness about getting relief from the suffocation of hiding something or feeling like a thief in front of the person you love. But just like every time the moon returned to the sky shining after the endless dark night, she would bring back her hopes. This time it wouldn't be like the last time she lose Rahul. This time it's her fault and she would face it, whatever the consequences. 

*****

He felt numb, then he felt rage, so much rage and then he felt like crying. Why? Why did this happen to him?

What went wrong? What mistake he did to deserve this? He wanted to give her everything he could. In exchange, he just wanted her acceptance, her love, a part of her life that could bind them forever. WHEN DID HE GO SO WRONG?

He kicked the car tier in frustration. Too much frustration and anger had filled his mind. Nothing but destruction seemed to make him calm. He felt like going back and catching her by the neck and then shaking her like a doll until she regrets doing this to her. He couldn't shake the murderous thought from his head. He may have slapped her there and that's why he left in a hurry before his thoughts turned into action.

God forbid her to come in front of him, otherwise, he would kill her. He kicked again and again and again.

"Arjun, what are you doing, Bro?" Vishal held him from the back to stop his madness. He smelled alcohol from him. After sometimes he stopped. Until then his legs felt numb. He leaned back on his car holding his head. He tugged them roughly.

"Look at me, the great Arjun Singhania who always had won has finally been beaten by a girl. What day has come!"

"Ami I'm really that worthless that anyone could come and use me like that. Have I gone that USELESS and DUMB?" He shouted holding Vishal's shirt.

"How dare she!"

"Arjun, calm down. Let's go home." Vishal tried to console him but it was of no use.

"Would I get peace by going home? No. She will haunt me everywhere. She must be laughing that this Arjun is such a fool and loser."

"No Arjun. I don't think it's like that. She was heartbroken."

He laughed in a mocking tone.

"Oh Vishal, don't bother. She is such a good actress. After all, she was successful in fooling me. For me she's the best actress", he voiced slurred.

"Arjun please get in the car. Let me take you home. You are not in the right mind."

"Ok, I will drive." He muttered finally in a tired voice.

"No, you won't. Please Yaar, don't be stubborn."

By the time Vishal took him home he slept. Vishal looked at his face. Guilt filled him seeing his friend's condition. If only he handled it differently.

*****

"Anu", a soft girly voice woke her up from her slumber. As she opened her eyes Neha's face was hovering over her.

"Anu, did you spend the whole night here?"

"Yeah, I fall asleep." Her voice was raw from just waking up. And then she noticed Neha's face. She didn't seem to have slept the whole night. Her eyes looked swollen.

Anu touched her best friend's cheeks.

"You ok?" She asked with concern.

"You must be still so angry with me," Neha replied with a solemn face.

The next moment she couldn't control herself and burst out in tears.

"I'm so sorry Anu. Trust me, I didn't do it intentionally. I didn't realise it would go out of hand like this. I am such a bad friend."

Anu looked at her sobbing best friend who must be feeling so guilty at the time and she understood her because they are both in the same boat. Just her mistake is unforgivable.

"It's fine. We all make mistakes." She tried consoling her while rubbing her back slowly.

"It was supposed to come out sooner or later." Ananya expressed absent-mindedly.

"Maybe but not like this. Not by someone else." Neha said looking at Anu's sad face.

"As I said it has to come out. But it's out and it's my fault. First I did a mistake and then I acted like a coward. I couldn't gather the courage to speak to him. I think it's better that way."

"You have truly fallen in love with him? Oh God, I feel so pathetic. Because of me, Arjun will.."

"Neha", Anu interrupted her, "don't think too much. Yeah, I was a little angry with you that you released our secret like that to someone else. But maybe God punished me for my mistake this way."

"No Anu, it will not change the fact that I broke best friend code."

"Ok, enough of this. I already have lost important people in my life. I can't lose you. I'm sure it won't happen again. And everyone deserves a second chance, right? " She didn't know for whom she said the last sentence, Neha or her.

Neha understood her. She hold Anu's face and turned her to face her.

"Whatever you do I shall always be with you Anu. And I don't know whether he will forgive you or not I know you are the best friend I could ask for. You must have gone wrong this time but you will also do everything to rectify yourself and the same apply to me. "

"Mom must be so ashamed of me if she had been alive, wouldn't she?" Ananya asked. At that time Anu looked like a little girl who had done something bad in the school and was afraid her parents would leave her.

"Anu, how many days it has been since Arjun has come into your life? Not even a whole year, right? But your mother has seen you your whole life if it's true that our dead loved ones are never far away. She knows this one mistake doesn't define who you are. You have done so many good things in your life too. This one wrong thing doesn't make you worst in your mother's eyes. Maybe for Arjun, it does. But whatever your relationship with your mother it's above all. She must be disappointed a little but she would feel proud too that you are not backing away from your mistake."

"Dadi?" Ananya asked with a dry face.

"Same goes for her. Your relationship is just too deep to break like that. You are her own."

"You know you should try your luck as a motivational speaker." Anu finally chuckled while a smile tugged at her lips. Neha returned her smile.

"Hmm, maybe I should. But I doubt they would listen to my stupid talks like you do." They both laughed out finally forgetting all the turmoil in their life for a while. The warm morning sun with the cold breeze accompanied them. And just like that a new day started with new expectations.

*****

As Ananya slowly entered the company she realised the vast change happening in her daily life. Today she will meet him but he won't smile back. There will be no more stolen moments, no more them working together with perfection. No more them making small talk, finding comfort. She felt terrible. For a moment thought to leave and run without showing her face but she clenched her fist and took a deep breath. She wouldn't back out. Not this time.

When she knocked on his office with his coffee he was busy with his work. He told her to come in. But when she entered he didn't look up. She silently kept the coffee cup on his table and stood there. For the first time, she felt this awkward in this office room.

"Take it. I already have my coffee. Next time try to bring it in time. I am not giving you salary to bring my coffee on my own." His steely voice caused a shiver to pass down her back. It wasn't just emotionless but so terrifyingly formal to the core. At that moment Ananya realised the man in front of her was just gonna be ruthless. He seemed so distant that she had trouble remembering that they had a past together, that they have been friends, they have just been more than friends. This was the person who was kissing her like she was the most precious thing in his life.

"If you are not feeling like working, don't waste my time or anyone else's for that matter." She came to her senses at his authoritative tone. It hurt her so much and something snapped within her.

"Arjun", the word came out from her mouth on its own.

Arjun looked up and the next moment he asked Diya to come to his office via telecom.

Ananya got confused by his behaviour. What's going on in his mind?

"Arjun, please listen to me once." She tried to approach him again softly.

"Was this the way you used to talk to your previous boss?" Arjun asked looking at her with a stoic face, leaning back in his chair.

Ananya looked into his eyes. But an intimidating energy radiated from them and made her look down. She shook her head like an obedient child.

Diya entered the office.

"Sir, you asked for me?" She asked with a nervous tone.

"Miss Roy here is probably not feeling well. Take the files from her and finish them today. I want them by the end of the day. Now leave." He ordered in his no-nonsense voice.

Diya left but Ananya stood there speechless. Why would he give her work to someone else?

"I'm fine. Why do you think I couldn't do my job? I'm gonna do it. Diya must have some other works to do." Saying that she was about to leave but his voice stopped him.

"Just a moment ago you couldn't even react to my order. First, as I can see the coffee is still there and when I called you the second time you weren't paying attention. Obviously, you are not in your right state of mind, so just take a rest. So I can't let you work now as I can't afford mistakes. You can leave."

"Sir.."

But this time he just ignored her and started working on his laptop.

She knew there is no way of talking to him right now so she just left.

The whole day went away without her getting any job to do. The day never felt this long. Arjun just didn't give her any work to do. Not once he called her. Even though there was a meeting at noon, he went alone.

She did expect him to be angry with her but not to make her suffer professionally. She thought maybe during their work she would meet him. Well, for that she had to get work from him but left her empty-handed. She returned home with a broken heart and her hope. Things were going to be tougher than she imagined.

So, Here is the chapter. Please let me know how is it. And please please please vote share and comment.

Stay safe and be happy ❤️

26.06.2023