Chapter 09 - Over-Stepping.

Lorelei Anderson...

Reaching for the remote control and flicking the horror movie off. I can't watch anymore. After Scream had finished the recommendations had shown on the screen, so I had stupidly picked a low-budget horror movie to watch. I should have known better.

Low-budget usually means low-scare factor.

There are very few directors who can get that perfect blend of scary but unexpected. Wes Craven was a master in his own right and without a doubt the God-father or the horror genre that I loved. While he did use the age-old staple of blondes running upstairs instead of out the front door, he managed to do it in such a way that you still want to route for the victim. There are plenty of ways of giving an unexpected scare to the viewer while still following the horror-formula.

Take Nightmare on Elm Street for example, while extremely dated, it still holds up as one of the best and scariest movies of a generation.

I was 11-years old when my cousin Matt forced me to watch that damn movie and for 5 months afterwards, my dad had to sleep on the fold out chair in my room, he had to sit outside the bathroom door whenever I had a shower or went to the bathroom. And forget leaving me home alone. I think my dad would have happily strangled Matt at that point in time. It took me another 6 years before I attempted to watch that movie again. Of course, I am glad that I did as it is now one of my favourite horror movies of all time.

Flicking through the other options on the popular streaming app until I heard what sounded like a thud against the trailer. Unfortunately, it wasn't a rare occasion when someone stumbled against the exterior of my home. And with-it being Christmas Eve I suspected it was one of the other residents of the trailer-park. I strained my ears to hear above the thumping music I could now hear since I had ended the movie.

Angry, muffled tones slithered through the open window and normally I would ignore it. It is never a good idea to stick your nose into the other resident's business but something inside me was screaming to investigate the situation. Quietly, I rose to my feet and padded to the window where the whispering sounded the loudest and I cranked the window, instantly my world felt off kilter as I saw Kevin with his hand wrapped around the throat of Alex and holding him against the exterior of my trailer. "What the fuck!?" I growled, pulling back inside, and stomping to the door, yanking it open and stepping onto the decking, marching around the side of the trailer until my eyes landed on them both.

Kevin was here!

Kevin was stood outside of my trailer looking almost feral as he glared at the man who had cost me my spot at school.

Alex.

Shit. Fuck.

Both men turned to look at me, "go inside, Lei!" Kevin ground out.

"Who is this man, little rabbit?" Alex demanded and the use of the pet-name had me stumbling backwards - that was what he called me in that dream.

What the actual fuck?

"Lei!" Kevin looked almost torn in what to do when it was clear that I was reeling. I could see it in him, he wanted to comfort me, but he didn't want to let what he deemed a threat go.

"What are you doing here?" I don't actually know who I was talking to at this point because both men being here was shocking for very different reasons.

"Your dad said you were sick, so I wanted to check-in while I was out for food, just to make sure that you are ok and don't need anything-" Kevin offered.

"You're sick little rabbit?" Alex asked instantly concerned but there was something in his eyes that I didn't trust. Maybe it was because I could still remember the intensity of his obsessiveness from the dream, or maybe I was just better at reading him now, I honestly have no idea if I am being honest, "what's wrong?"