CHAPTER 18: HURTS LEFT BEHIND

Okay so I was telling my cousin about this Fanfiction and she just asked me why I chose Saad and Murtasim instead of Baasim and Murtasim. And I.........why on earth did I not think about it?!

I don't care if you agree with me or not but Baasim Ashiq Hussain, son of Advocate Ashiq Hussain could and would make Murtasim Khan cry. He would absolutely demolish Murtasim's ego with one of his punch lines and no one can tell me otherwise. He would also straighten up the Khans in like two days. Oh and not to forget, if Murtasim had Bhaktu, then Baasim has Rocket🤣🤣

Anyway, this is one of the last chapters I have in my draft. So enjoy.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

In the dimly lit room, Maheer stared unblinking, at the sleeping form of her husband next to her. His face was bruised, some of them turning blue. She traced them one by one with her fingers, careful not to wake him.

It was the first time he was sleeping after coming home from that wretched jail and Maheer didn't want to ruin the much needed rest. Her hands moved carefully on their own accord as she ran them through his soft hair.

She brought the index finger down, tracing the bridge of his nose, moving onto his cheeks next. Maheer tried to commit the feel into her memory, the softness of his hair, the fullness of his cheeks, his rough beard- she took them all in.

A tear escaped her eyes. She quickly retreated her hand when she saw Saad's face scrunch in a grumbling frown. She stared quietly until he fell back into a peaceful slumber.

Something twisted inside her everytime she thought back to the desperation and fear that had engulfed her for the last three days. Maheer never wished to relive them again.

She had begged Areeb to withdraw the case. She had begged Areeb's mom fir the same. She had begged lawyers to take Saad's case.

But none had listened. None had come to her husband's rescue. None spared her a look as her husband rotted inside that tiny, smelly cell.

Until she had found the small black diary containing her brother-in- law's contact number. Murtasim Khan, with his wealth, influence and connections, was someone that could get her husband out of that hell hole.

She had hesitated at first thinking of Saad's wishes but at that time, the only thing she could think about was his safe return. Nothing else had mattered.

Saad hadn't outright complained but she knew he was hesitant about taking for Murtasim's help. Taking his brother's help would mean he will be in his debt.

He was even more reluctant about Maheer's involvement in the case. But she had persisted. Even after Saad's insistence, she had agreed to Murtasim's idea.

Maheer understood Saad's concern, if things go wrong, her reputation will be ruined. But it's not like her reputation was in a great place now either.

She just hoped Saad will not be affected ever again by her past mistakes. He had already been wounded way too many times because of her.

------------------------------------------------------------

"May I ask you a question?" Meerab's voice sounded weak to herself. It was hoarse even though she hadn't been crying.