CHAPTER 6: BEAUTY AND THE BETRAYALS

"And this is the watch your father wanted you to have. He specially ordered two. One for Murtasim and one for you!" Murtasim's Maa said as she made Saad wear a leather strapped rolex. He couldn't help the smile that stretched on his face as he saw her talk about all of his birthday gifts. She was just so excited about everything.

Saad hoped his smiles had managed to conceal the storm inside his mind.

Birthday gifts! For him!

Shahnawaz Khan and Salma Begum kept a birthday gift for each birthday he missed. The gifts grew up too as he and Murtasim got older.

As Saad looked at the rolex on his wrist, he realized Murtasim's looked identical. Only Saad's one was new while Murtasim's looked used.

Two of each. One was used and cherished while the other waited, untouched in the closet, away from the light.

Unconsciously he rubbed the empty hand that wasn't wearing a watch worth a fortune.

This wasn't who he was. He was just Saad.

His hands weren't meant to wear this watch. He wasn't meant to get all these gifts.

All these lands, watches, fountain pens, sunglasses- it didn't suit Saad. It suited someone like Murtasim. Someone who was raised in the lap of luxury. Someone who knew what to do with them.

Saad was...he was meant for run-down cars, off-the-rack t-shirts, and second hand watches.

That's who he was.

Saad wanted to laugh at himself at that.

That's who he was? Really?

Who was he? Saad Hussain?

How could he be the old Saad when his father's eyes were still downcasted in guilt? When his mother couldn't bring herself to meet Salma Begum's eyes?

"May I be excused for a moment?" Maheer asked, all of a sudden, surprising Saad out of his thoughts.

"Yes, you may," Murtasim answered without looking up from his phone.

Does this guy always think people were asking him for permission?

And God, Maheer! Saad completely forgot about her sitting next to him!

Salma Begum had completely ignored her after that weird once-over she gave her. Saad should have realized how uncomfortable it made Maheer.

He still didn't know what to make of Salma Begum.

She obviously loved him but she seemed to be disappointed at Saad's choice of bride. It was evident from the look she and Anwar Khan had shared after Maheer's introduction.

Maybe Saad should have a word with Maheer.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Maheer walked outside towards the porch and inhaled some fresh air. She felt like she was breathing after ages!

The inside of the haveli was as suffocating as its residence.

Maheer could still feel the sting of humiliation as she remembered how judgmental Maa Begum had looked.

She didn't think Maheer was up to their standard.

That's probably what Areeb and his family thought about her too. Areeb's mom had made that clear.

Today Maa Begum's eyes were identical to Areeb's mother's.