Avoiding the Horrors of Frostbite

Start from the beginning

"You said to Piper you don't know why I do the things I do. So how would I know why I do the things I do, if I am what you think I am, which is the manifestation of only things you think I can do...in your head?" She paused to ponder that for a moment.

"Chiron said that all of this wasn't real, that it was wishful thinking." He scoffed, "Of course it's wishful thinking, I'm having a date with you long after I kicked the bucket." Annabeth suddenly found herself flustered, like she was that little kid again.

"This wasn't a date, you just ate food and insulted your own memory." He nodded, "Sounds like me doesn't it?" He put on an impression of Chiron's voice, just like he had last time, it hurt to reminisce.

But even in the dream Annabeth couldn't stop herself from smirking as he put on a faux voice "That boy is nothing but trouble. He was a remarkable man Annabeth, and I know you miss him, as we all do, but I can't help but think he's a pain in my flank"

Annabeth sighed, shaking her head, she tried to get up, and just like back then, (Y/N) shook his head and got comfortable. "You know, I really like this diner, I might just stay here for a while." Her heart jolted like she had been shocked.

She made a decision in that moment, she sat down and started eating, smiling to herself, this food was pretty good. Like something her dad used to make when she was young, but she couldn't place it.

"I think I prefer my last dream of you, even if you are still terrible at dancing. It made more sense, it wasn't as disjointed. You were nicer in that one." He nodded, "Well, you are very tired you should be sleeping, not dreaming. As for me, I was older then. And you didn't think I was as annoying." She supposed that made some sense.

Looking in his eyes, she decided to just enjoy the moment while it lasted regardless, she wasn't sure how many she would get left, even now, his image didn't seem as clear in his mind as her last dream.

"I think I'll stay too." She declared, "I still haven't had dessert, you don't mind do you?" (Y/N) shook his head, "No, every second with you is a blessing. But there is a little issue, so you have to eat fast." "What?" Annabeth asked.

What he said next broke her heart, "Well, you might want more time, but there is one flaw in that plan." He said, she raised an eyebrow, "One tiny thing you forgot to prepare for." "And what is that?" She wondered, he had that devilish glint in his eyes as he said, "Zoe is still a terrible driver."

Annabeth awoke with a crash, her seatbelt constricting around her as she lurched forward, she immediately looked over at Zoe, her head already buzzing. "What happened?" She asked, as Zoe sat there wide eyed.

"Zoe?" She asked again, shaking her shoulder, and with a few blinks of shock, Zoe replied quickly, urgently. Already unbuckling and swinging open the car door so fast that she ripped it off it's hinges.

Annabeth sighed at another IOU note she was going to have to write, until Zoe simply said, "I saw them." Before Annabeth could even comprehend that sentence in her sleepy state, Zoe had already vaulted over the hood of the car and took off sprinting down the sidewalk.

Piper's POV

Piper woke up cold and shivering. She'd had the worst dream about an old guy with donkey ears chasing her around and shouting, You're it! "Oh, god." Her teeth chattered. "He turned me to gold!"

"You're okay now." Jason leaned over and tucked a warm blanket around her, but she still felt as cold as a Boread. She blinked, trying to figure out where they were. Next to her, a campfire blazed, turning the air sharp with smoke.

Firelight flickered against rock walls. They were in a shallow cave, but it didn't offer much protection. Outside, the wind howled. Snow blew sideways. It might've been day or night. The storm made it too dark to tell.