The Aftermath of Eating Rocks

Começar do início

"-And this vial" she pointed to a swan-shaped container with blue liquid inside—"will kill you very painfully." "Awesome," Jason said. His voice sounded dazed and sleepy.

"Jason," Piper said. "We've got a job to do. Remember?" She tried to put power into her words, to snap him out of his trance with charmspeak, but her voice sounded shaky even to her.

This princess woman scared her too much, made her confidence crumble, just the way she'd felt back in the Aphrodite cabin with Drew. "Job to do," Jason muttered. "Sure. But shopping first, okay?"

The princess beamed at him. "Then we have potions for resisting fire—" "Got that covered," Leo said. "Indeed?" The princess studied Leo's face more closely. "You don't appear to be wearing my trademark sunscreen ...but no matter. We also have potions that cause blindness, insanity, sleep, or—"

"Wait." Piper was still staring at the red vial. "Could that potion cure lost memory?" The princess narrowed her eyes. "Possibly. Yes. Quite possibly. Why, my dear? Have you forgotten something important?"

Piper tried to keep her expression neutral, but if that vial could cure Jason's memory... "Could it restore someone to full health, back to their prime?" The man asked, her highness did answer that question, because for the first time it felt genuine.

"We'll get to something like that a little later." She answered and Piper was afraid for a second that he had been overtaken by her charms as well, but when she looked at him, his eyes didn't seem to have that vague look to them.

Her highness turned her head back to Piper, "Hysterical Amnesia isn't so hard to deal with in this day and age." She said, "Hysterical Amnesia?" Piper questioned, and the woman nodded in response like that was all she needed to know.

"What's that?" She enquired and her highness answered, looking back at the man. "It is a type of the disease that is very rare and does not occur very often." The two shared a look Piper could barely register.

Her highness seemed to have a smug air about her, and from what she could gather, the man seemed to be very angry, but bit his tongue. Piper felt very out of the loop. "Patients with this type of memory loss are unable to remember their past or even their identity. They see themselves, and they see a stranger. Truly tragic."

That fit Jason to a tee, if this potion could cure him, it could be a huge help. Piper got the urge to try to steal again, though she doubted that it would be as easy as the lawnmower. She didn't realise she was in her own thoughts until the man pat her gently on the shoulder.

"Come on, focus." He said, as her highness kept talking "-In the mortal world. It's usually triggered by a sudden, shocking event that the brain cannot process. In most cases, the patient's memory slowly comes back within a few days of the onset."

"But with lives like yours and mine, the causes  can...vary." She finished as Piper kept pondering stealing that potion, "Do I really want that?" she wondered. If Jason found out who he was, he might not even be her friend.

Hera had taken away his memories for a reason. She'd told him it was the only way he'd survive at Camp Half-Blood. What if Jason found out that he was their enemy, or something? He might come out of his amnesia and decide he hated Piper.

He might have a girlfriend wherever he came from. It doesn't matter, she decided, which kind of surprised her. Jason always looked so anguished when he tried to remember things. Piper hated seeing him that way.

She wanted to help him because she cared about him, even if that meant losing him. And maybe it would make this trip through Her Craziness's department store worthwhile. "How much?" Piper asked.