23. Trifling Mind Games

Start from the beginning

Fifteen and under are required to live here, in the building with a cluster of other kids. They have six different rooms with eighteen beds in each, but some kids sleep on the floor since there aren't enough beds.

Once you turn sixteen, you can live in one of the provided houses, as long as you're in an area where Miller can still watch you, if needed.

I had an agreement with Miller. I used to do extra missions on Kinsley's part so that when I turned sixteen, I could take her with me.

But then she died, and so did the plan.

Looking back at the kids, I see the dark circles under their eyes. Some of them look malnourished. Which isn't surprising, some days you're so busy, you don't have time to eat.

If it wasn't for Kinsley, I wouldn't have eaten most days.

The bruises on their knees and arms are blue and purple, which won't heal, not for long anyway.

"Why can't we take a break?" The youngest one asks. "You know why Matty, Mr. Miller said if we get everything done early today, we can get a bigger portion of dinner," the oldest sighs.

"But I'm tired!"

"We all are. You've got seven years, Matty, hang in there."

"But you'll leave me. You're leaving soon," the child croaks.

"I'll visit. I promise."

Another kid speaks up, "yeah, and we'll still be here, don't worry, by then you'll be bigger and stronger."

Matty hangs his head low, and for some reason it breaks my heart. I used to feel the same way. I used to listen to Kins say the same thing.

It's weird knowing each kid feels the same way I did.

I'm older. I've been through it.

A hand grasps my shoulder. "I know man. I know," Dal mutters. I sigh, "It's fucked up. The kid should be able to relax. He looks dead."

"We all do," he whispers.

I begin to walk over to the kids, but Dal stops me. "You know the rules, don't do something stupid."

"Fuck his rules," I scoff, shaking my arm away.

When I approach the kids, two of them cower. I frown.

I kneel down to their height as gently as I can. "It gets better. Soon enough you'll get delicious food, doable schedules, and finer beds, okay?" I lie.

Their faces brighten, and relief flushes through their dull eyes. I feel like shit, but I can't let them give up.

"You swear?" Matty asks.

I gulp, "on my heart," I lift my hand over my heart.

All five kids nod at me, "thank you sir."

"Elijah," I choke, "you guys can call me Elijah."

"Thank you, Elijah."

I smile at them, and walk off, continuing my training.

"You shouldn't have done that," Dal warns. "They have to keep fighting. They can't give up. If anything, I'm doing Miller a favor."

"Yeah, well, he doesn't see it that way."

"Because he's a fucking prick."

"That he is."

________

Rhea

My game plan is probably incredibly stupid, but I know what they really want is me, not Elijah.