Jumping Off A National Landmark

Start from the beginning

"How could this not have hurt me?" She said as the feeling of being alone enveloped her more and more each second. He sighed, "I guess you're right as always, I shouldn't have done that to you, but hurting the people we love the most, unfortunately runs in both sides of my family."

"I miss you too. So much." He said, and before he was gone, before she danced alone he said, "I love you." And just like that, as if their dance meant nothing, as if their time together meant nothing, he was gone, and she was alone once more.

She awoke to see that Zoe was already packing up their camp, somehow managing to pack it into sizes that shouldn't have been possible without magic. When Annabeth stirred, she looked over her shoulder with a small smile.

She had dark circles under her eyes, that was the first thing Annabeth noticed in their brief interaction, the second thing was that Zoe's hands were shaking, and her cheeks were red, she had been crying again.

In that moment, after leaving that dream, even half asleep, Annabeth could honestly have joined her. She knew what Zoe was doing, because she had been doing it for months, busying her hands, busying her mind, because when Annabeth stopped to think, the pain in her chest welled up again.

"Let's keep moving." She said tiredly, wiping her own eyes as she packed up her things. She didn't need to look at her laptop this time, she had stared at it so much she could fid the locations in her sleep.

"What do you think, are we closing in on them?" Zoe asked, her voice was the tiniest bit shaky, Annabeth replied simply, "By the gods I hope so, I can't take this much longer." Zoe blushed, "Do I snore that loud?" And Annabeth found herself laughing once more.

Piper's POV

Piper didn't relax until the glow of Quebec City faded behind them. "You were amazing," Jason told her. The compliment should've made her day. But all she could think about was the trouble ahead. Evil things are stirring, Zethes had warned them. She knew that first hand.

The closer they got to the solstice, the less time Piper had to make her decision. She told Jason in French: "If you knew the truth about me, you wouldn't think I was so amazing." "What'd you say?" he asked.

"I said I only talked to Boreas. It wasn't so amazing." She didn't turn to look, but she imagined him smiling. "Hey," he said, "you saved me from joining Khione's sub-zero hero collection. I owe you one."

That was definitely the easy part, she thought. There was no way Piper would've let that ice witch keep Jason. What bothered Piper more was the way Boreas had changed form, and why he'd let them go. It had something to do with Jason's past, those tattoos on his arm.

Boreas assumed Jason was some sort of Roman, and Romans didn't mix with Greeks. She kept waiting for Jason to offer an explanation, but he clearly didn't want to talk about it. Until now, Piper had been able to dismiss Jason's feeling that he didn't belong at Camp Half-Blood.

Obviously he was a demigod. Of course he belonged. But now ... what if he was something else? What if he really was an enemy? She couldn't stand that idea any more than she could stand Khione. Leo passed them some sandwiches from his pack.

He'd been quiet ever since they'd told him what happened in the throne room. "I still can't believe Khione," he said. "She looked so nice." "Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close it's cold and nasty. We'll find you a better prom date."

Piper smiled, but Leo didn't look pleased. He hadn't said much about his time in the palace, or why the Boreads had singled him out for smelling like fire.

Piper got the feeling he was hiding something. Whatever it was, his mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.