4

~*Lan Wangji's POV*~

"Baba! Come find me!" I heard a child's voice say.

"A'Xian, you, me, and A'Cheng are the closest three in the world," a gentle female voice said.

"Xian-Gege, I want three older brothers and three older sisters," I heard another child's voice say.

Everything was so loud and clustered within Wei Ying's mind. I always wondered why Wei Ying was such a chatterbox, or why he was so smart but also boisterous. I didn't even know it was possible but I felt cold, as I wandered around in this dark subconscious. It was dark, cold, and loud. I could feel the resentful energy clouding over my head. Wei Ying definitely was being tortured by this energy but kept it to himself.

As I kept moving forward, I came across an area with several white doors. I could tell each door consisted of a set of memories. The one closest to me I felt was the first door to enter. Upon entering, I stepped into a wooded area. There was a dirt path that cut through and either side was just trees beyond trees. After a long while, I found myself standing in front of a stone hut with a straw covered roof.

 After a long while, I found myself standing in front of a stone hut with a straw covered roof

It looked well lived in and there were a decent amount of chickens running around the yard. There was a donkey in a stall nearby, and a cart that had empty barrels. It looks like a cart used to transport goods. I soon heard a noise coming from inside the house. So I slowly went to the door.

"GeGe, my parents are not home right now, so no guests are allowed here," I heard a boy say to me.

"You can see me?" I asked.

"Of course I can see you, Gege, you look so handsome. Why are you here? Did you know that this place sells herbs and specialty plants for rare medicine?" He asked.

"I...am looking for someone. I apologize for barging into your home," I told him, "did your parents tell you not to talk to strangers?"

"They did, unless they had pristine features and a sword. You must be a cultivator. My parents are as well," the boy said, "you just look fancier."

"When will they return?" I asked.

"I do not know, they have been gone for a few days now, but I know how to handle things here on my own," he said.

"I go by Hanguang Jun, I come from the Lan Sect," I explained. I am not in a sect anymore but I will use my old sect as a way to fit in.

"Hanguang Jun?" He asked, "Light Bearer...you can hold light?"

I smiled a bit, "not necessarily, my cultivation is similar to light."

"Oh...do you have a shorter name?" He asked.

"Wangji...you can call me Ji-Gege," I answered, "may I know your name?"

"Wei Ying," he answered kindly.

"Wei Ying?" I asked and knelt in front of him, "you are Wei Ying?"

"Have you been looking for me?" He asked.

"Yes, I wish to protect you, but can you close your eyes for me for a moment?" I asked him.

He closed his eyes, and I used some of my spiritual energy to check if he was the real subconscious being or just a memory that I can interact with. Turns out, it is just a memory. Maybe I could stick close and see what I can find here. Maybe the real subconscious being is older...maybe around the current age Wei Ying died.

"You can open your eyes," I said calmly.

"Why did you ask me to close them?" He asked.

"I wanted to check something," I said, "and you are just fine...I should come back as your parents are not here but I do not feel comfortable with leaving you here alone."

"Since you are a cultivator, you could probably stay until they return," Wei Ying told me.

"I can stay for a couple days," I said, "but I have to leave in at least three days."

"Okay, would I see you again after you leave?" He asked.

I smiled gently at him, "I am sure we will. Fate is a mysterious thing."

"Are you tired from your travels? If not I can show you around. Out back there are more animals. Even bunnies, I can show you. Do you like bunnies?"

I smiled more, "they are my favorite animal," I said, "I would love to see them."

Wei Ying grabbed my hand and led me outside to the back yard. It was actually really nice out back and it was also very open. I could immediately see black, brown, and white rabbits off on one side. Wei Ying took me to them.

"These are all rescues," He told me, "we started off with two, one had a broken leg and the other had a bite wound. Aside from the bite, it was carrying babies. So my parents taught me how to care for them. These are the rescues and those that were born here. Since they were born here and not in the wild, they do not know how to survive if they are set free. So they stay here."

I knelt down with him, "that is very kind of you," I said, "they must be very grateful for your help."

"It's nice to rescue animals. It makes me feel like I am doing good. My parents rescued a dog once, I found out I had a fear of them so they kept it away from me until it recovered," Wei Ying said.

"Why are you afraid of them?" I asked.

"I do not know, I just am," Wei Ying said.

The scene changed to me teleporting to the streets of Yiling. I panicked a bit at first until I heard a scream. I turned and saw Wei Ying running. Behind him were three wild hounds. Wei Ying was in ragged robes and his hair was matted. He looked as if he has been on his own for a while.

"Wei Ying?" I called out.

He looked my way and ran to me, "Ji-Gege! I found you! Please save me!" He yelled as he jumped into my arms.

I took out Bichen and glared down at the wild dogs. They immediately scattered and ran in the opposite direction. I then took Wei Ying to the nearest inn. On the way, I bought him fresh robes and some medicine to tend to his wounds. At the inn, I ordered him food and a bath.

"Why are you alone?" I asked.

"After you left, I went to go search for my parents...I found them but they were covered in blood. They were also cold. They would not wake up."

"How long ago was this?" I asked.

"A couple weeks ago," he answered, "they are still there," he had tears in his eyes, "they are dead."

"Hey, I will help you properly bury them and pay respects to them, okay," I said, "I am here now."

"You promise?" He asked.

"I promise," I replied.