Chapter 33.

Aonung:

I don't think my heart has ever pounded this hard before. Not when I was ever frightened as a kid, or whenever Akoya got close to me.

But now, hiding naked behind just LEAVES whilst my mother was feet away, I was about to pass away from fright.

I dart another glance to my loincloth on the floor, but there's no way I'd be able to grab it.

"We need to discuss," I hear my mum say, and my throat tightens dangerously.

"Discuss what?" Akoya asks nervously, and through the light flitering through the leaves, I see her twisting her hands anxiously.

"You, child," mom says, and I exhale slowly.

"Um, what about me?" Akoya says.

"I have sensed it around you," Ronal tells her, and I can see my mom's figure studying Akoya through the leaves. "Her."

"What do you mean?"

"You have a strong connection with Eywa, child."

What did that mean? I try to see more through the leaf, but I don't dare moving closer in case I knock it.

"I'm not a child," Akoya says quickly, before ducking her head. "Sorry."

"This connection," my mom continues, "Is beyond any I've seen. Beyond my own, or any other Tsahìk. You have a bond with her, as does your sister."

"Kiri?" Akoya says quickly. "Is there something wrong? Is she in danger?"

"No my dear, she and you are fine. Yet, I wish to know more about it. Doubtless, Aonung has told you that I am to train you as Tsahìk?"

"Yes," Akoya answers.

"Good, I..." my mom trails off. "When? We just discussed this, and I didn't see him walking back from the forest." 

I feel my breath catch again, and I slink back away from the leaves and against the wall. 

"Oh, he left a while ago," Akoya says in a false airy voice, but it isn't convincing.

"I should have seen..." my mom cuts herself off again, and she snaps back to Akoya. I exhale with relief as she quickly changes the subject.

"So my connection?" Akoya prompts. 

"Yes..." Ronal says slowly, as though a little stunned. "I wish to explore this connection. It's strange, that you and your twin are the only ones that inherited this when you're siblings-"

"It isn't," Akoya says, in a voice of realisation. "We.... we aren't the children of Jake and Neytiri. We are born from a avatar of a dead human."

"And your father?" my mom says sympathetically. 

"I don't know," Akoya says quietly. "No one does."

"I... may," Ronal says, and Akoya's head snaps up. 

"What? You know him?"

"Not him. It is Eywa, my child."

What? This makes no sense, so I can't help moving closer again, near as I dare to try and see them through the leaves. 

"Eywa? But- How?"

"I have no idea, but it is an explanation that fits," Ronal says gently, as Akoya stumbles a little.

She guides Akoya to take a seat and crouches next to her.

"Akoya te Suli Sorayì'ite, you are the blood of Eywa. You are incredible. Why else do you think I like you so much?"