Chapter 27.

"Akoya! It's already like three in the afternoon, WAKE UP!" 

A voice barks, dragging the blanket off of me. I blink hazily up at the furious figure of Neteyam above me.

"What bro," I growl, shielding my face from the light.

"Where did you and Aonung go during the party last night? Did anything happen?"

"I'm a big girl," I grumble, reluctantly sitting up. "I can handle myself. And no, Aonung and I are fine."

"Tey," Kiri says warningly, "let her be. She's right, she can handle herself."

"Fine," Neteyam scowls, stalking away.

"What's his problem?" I ask Kiri and Lo'ak.

"He's just being protective Koy," Lo'ak says. "It's pretty gross to think about Aonung and our sister, just look at it how we do."

"I guess so, but I don't get as grossed out by the thought of you and Reya," I point out.

"Shut up," Lo'ak says, and Kiri laughs.

"What are we doing today anyway?" I ask my siblings as I change in the corner.

"I dunno," Lo'ak says, shrugging. "Tsireya says Aonung wanted to show you something, so I guess you can spend the say with him if you want."

"Of course she wants to," Kiri says teasingly. "Because she loooves him. Akoya and Aonung, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G-"

"You are such a kid," Tuk says, and I laugh, then Kiri's words process in my mind and I panic.

"Did Aonung tell you?" I ask worriedly, before I realise what I said, or confessed to. "I mean, did he say something?"

"No," Lo'ak says curiously. "Did something happen?" 

"No," I say firmly. 

"Don't lie," Lo'ak says amusedly. "I can see all your hickeys."

"Lo'ak," Kiri says, scandalised, slapping our brother lightly. I roll my eyes.

"I'm going to go find him. I'll see you skxawngs later."

I leave our marui quickly, before my siblings can interrogate me. As I leave, I hear Lo'ak and Kiri muttering excitedly.

"They totally did something."

"She looked super guilty."

I pretend I can't hear them as I move through the village. My stomach is fluttering in nervous anticipation as I see Aonung in the distance.

"Hey skxawng."

"Skxawng?" Aonung asks, tilting his head.

"Yes, you're still a massive skxawng," I tell him, pushing him lightly.

"Lo'ak said you're not as cold and tough as you seem."

Aonung's words make me pause, and I think about them for a moment.

"When were you talking to my brother?" I ask suspiciously.

"When my mom was talking to you," Aonung admits. "He just told me to be careful."

"Really?" I laugh. 

"So," Aonung says, rubbing his hands together. Is he nervous? "How are you?"

"Great," I say, smiling up at him. "Um, you didn't tell anyone about last night, right? And Rotxo didn't either?"

"No," Aonung says, and I breathe out a sigh of relief. "Why?"

"I don't want anyone to think... anything about me. And besides, when you lead the clan one day, you won't want anyone to know-"

"Akoya-"

"About us-"

"Akoya," Aonung says, softly but firmly, and he turns me so I'm forced to face him. "I told you last night, It doesn't matter. All that matters is you."

I can't stop the small smile spreading across my face and our gazes meet, and he looks down at my hand he's holding.

"What happened to your wrist?"

"You," I say amusedly, holding it up so he can see the slight bruising he left. "Let's just say you weren't paying too much attention when you were jealous."

"Akoya, I'm sorry," Aonung says immediately, but I only laugh.

"It's fine."

"No," Aonung says, and he looks completely furious and disgusted with himself that he hurt me.

"It's fine, Aonung. You don't have to be too gentle with me. Rough is alright."

Aonung looks a little stunned, and I laugh at his speechlessness. 

"What's wrong, nervous?"

"You wish," Aonung says, and I slap him.

"What did you want to show me, skxawng? Lo'ak said that you said you wanted-"

"Oh yeah," Aonung says, and he pulls me after him. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I laugh, as we run along the beach.

"You took me flying, and into the forest. You showed me your places, now I want to show you mine."

"You have a special place?" I say wonderingly, studying Aonung as he pulls me along, holding my hand tight. 

"Yeah, and?" Aonung says, and I shrug.

"I don't know, you just keep surprising me."

"I'm full of surprises, Akoya," Aonung whispers, and I don't know why, but the words send a small shiver through me. "Just saying, no one else has seen this place before."

"Aw," I say, leaning my head on his shoulder as he draws me closer. "You're so adorable."

The sun is already setting, and in the watery light, I can see the uncontrollable smile on Aonung's face as I call him cute.

"I'm just saying, it's a special place for me. And you're... special or whatever too."

"What a way with words," I say teasingly. "I feel so special."

"You know what I mean," Aonung says.

"Do I?" I say innocently. "Why don't you tell me, Aonung."

"You are special. You aren't a forest freak or strange or scary to me. You're just Akoya. My Akoya."

"Your Akoya?" I whisper, and he swallows. 

"Well, yeah," Aonung whispers back. "You're mine."

"Okay," I say, and he wraps his arms around my waist. 

I kiss him, and I feel his hands move into my hair. It's a deep kiss, gentle and slow, and we finally pull apart after several, long, blissful moments.

"Come on," he says, pulling me along.

I follow him carefully, our fingers interlaced and tails brushing with every step.